Taddle

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hi, ive got a few questions about my home build, it would be useful for you to answer the ones you know,id much appreciate it.

Heres my build so far
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/kLeP

First of all, will the graphics on the ivy bridge be enough for minecraft? Or should I downgrade to sandy and get a graphics card (on a budget here)

Secondly, what procedures would you take out to prevent static discharge? So far it looks like I'm going to be standing up with no socks on and I'm not allowed to move to go and eat ntil I'm finished building. I have a wristband if thats any use?

Finally, I noticed the case PSU only has 1 SATA power, I need about 3. What do you think the best way to do this is? I read something about this:
Molex to multiple SATA
Should I Just tap that in to CCL?

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Short answer, no.

If you are on a budget, swapt platform to an AMD A10 APU and motherboard. AMD's APUs runs circles around Intel's integrated graphics.

The A10 APU is the same price as the i3 you listed. Also, i don't think you need 16GB of RAM in a entry/mid range level pc, 8GB would be MORE than enough.

[EDIT] Static discharge, just make sure you touch the case (to discharge) before handling any components. Try to lift / handle the components by using the heatsinks or plastic parts around the boards, modules etc.

As for the PSU, how old is it and how many watts? Might not be a bad idea to get a new PSU with new equipment. Last thing you want is an old dodgy psu taking out your new equipment.

Advice?

You can use the stock cooler for the i3 and save yourself some money.

Also, 16GB of RAM is more than enough. And I would also make the case for the A10. It comes with better integrated graphics than the i3 and is about the same price.

You don't NEED a wristband, but its one less thing you have to remember. If you are careful in building the computer you don't need it.

I'm also guessing your CiT power supply came with the case. I would recommend a switch in power supply depending on its wattage. I would replace it with a nicer unit anyway.

Taddle

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated :D

The PSU is 500W. I very much want the Ivy Bridge unless you think it won't run Minecraft, but I'll take your advice on board. I'll use the stock cooler, I will downgrade to 8GB RAM.
I'm kinda guessing it will run minecraft. I was running it on a celeron d with no graphics card installed at school earlier.

Once again, thanks! I'm happy I joined this site, I will certainly use it more, and help people where I can

Taddle

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
But will it blend?

Okay, so Im guessing I have 3 options
I wont take the i3 and no graphics card one,
Im now stuck between A10 and a graphics card
I could check the settings, but our system is locked down like a bank. Only 4 people in the country could actually get in without a very robust way of breaking in so I have no access to anytig other than my user area and basic office, internet and examination software.

Will the A10 successfully perform as well as at least the i3 sandy?
Id guess it will, but having no money to sparen, I cant go ahead and buy something im not sure about

One small word with a powerful intention; thanks

I am truly feeling empowered by this forum. I have used forums in the past and found the communities arrogant and they seem like they dont want to help. I have not felt anything like that here.

I think I like this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/kMXL