Can you run a 7.1 channel headset on a 8 channel sound card

Dilly1O

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Can you run a 7.1 channel headset on a 8 channel intergrated sound card. I dont know much about sound cards so If this is a really stupid questions, I apoligizes. Thanks for any supplies

Solution
7.1 means 8 speakers in total, which is the same as 8-channel sound, so your existing integrated sound adapter is okay.

However, bear in mind that you don't get true surround-sound through headphones as it's physically impossible. You will only get "virtual" or simulated surround-sound. The only true sound through a pair of headphones is "stereo" sound.

To get true surround-sound you need to use a 7.1 speaker system correctly positioned all around the room.
7.1 means 8 speakers in total, which is the same as 8-channel sound, so your existing integrated sound adapter is okay.

However, bear in mind that you don't get true surround-sound through headphones as it's physically impossible. You will only get "virtual" or simulated surround-sound. The only true sound through a pair of headphones is "stereo" sound.

To get true surround-sound you need to use a 7.1 speaker system correctly positioned all around the room.

Solution

While I don't want to get into the merit of how well it works, there are real 5.1 and 7.1 analog headphones on the market. That means 4 or 5 speakers positioned around on each ear.