FX8120 causing restarts?

skittlesaretasty

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I'll just get straight into everything, here are my specs that matter for this question:

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @ 4 GHz, 20C Idle
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
GPU: PNY GTX 660 Ti
Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

My problem is that any time I'm doing something extremely CPU intensive for more than about 45 minutes, specifically rendering a video or streaming to twitch.tv with XSplit, my computer just restarts. I'm convinced that it's the CPU. I've tried installing Windows again, upgrading the CPU cooler (I originally used the stock fan, so that's what I assumed was the problem), and changing graphics card. Maybe it IS something else, but I can't think of what it would be.

Looking at the temps when I'm rendering a video, the max that it hits is 34C. Can anyone help?

4745454b

Titan
Memtest the ram? Make sure you let it run for at least two hours if it happens at stock and needs 45min to reboot.

I wasn't thinking PSU. If it was PSU it would probably fail really fast. Heat is possible. You are using a tower cooler and its possible your VRMs on the motherboard are heating up to high. After looking up your board I'm not sure about that however.

skittlesaretasty

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I just ran memtest, there were no errors. Strangely, the ram is shown as being clocked at 666 MHz, even though I'm pretty sure the lowest ram I have in there is 1333 MHz. Unless I'm an idiot and RAM clocks itself based on your CPU; I don't really know much about RAM clocking and timings and all that.

4745454b

Titan
It's DDR. (DOUBLE data rate) So what is 666 x 2?

How long did you run it or how many passes? I'm just wondering if you need more then a bit of ram usage to cause the error. Might want to double check all the specs for the RAM and CPU to make sure you have the right timings/voltage. Perhaps its a bug in the program? Check for an update?

skittlesaretasty

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I ran it for about two hours. There weren't any restarts during the test.

What do you want me to look for an update for? My BIOS? I tried updating it, and that didn't help. Unless by "program" you mean my software, which it can't be, because it's two completely different programs.