Sandforce based ssds

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
A lot of users in this forum seem to be talking strawberry vanilla garbage. People who dont have the real world experience of even using even a SSD, It seems that their intention is to spread misinformation, distrust and confusion among genuine users. I think such users should be thrown out of the forums.

I'm not sure what you mean by "strawberry vanilla garbage". Maybe the fact that they don't work as well when confronted with incompressible workloads such as video files and pre-compressed files? That's actually true FYI. I don't recommend them because a Samsung 830 or Vertex 4 will often perform better than similarly priced Sandforce drives in most peoples uses.

Your attitude actually makes me think you should be banned instead. I don't actually support banning people based on posting a contentious point, unless they are actually attacking another user or being discriminatory. If they are spreading misinformation then educate them.

This should probably in either storage or maybe in the bin though.

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Hey! Why are you getting offended for? I never mentioned anything about compressed data or Samsung or Vertex 4 or whatever you are talking about. Why are you getting offended or upset about if you haven’t done anything. I was only referring to Gunit111 post some time back, who doesn’t seem to know the difference between Intel Flash memory and controller and spreading misinformation. Let G Unit 111 defend himself if he is right. You should not be offended if you are not Gunit 111!

Well gee, guess we dun been put in our place.

After all, the crux of your issue was clearly shown in the OP (Which I will quote so we all see it again), and the perpetrator was none other than G-Unit, one of the more prolific members of our community.
Why you even had the decency to link to his crimes and provide convincing evidence contrary to his evidently wrong opinion and advice!
We dun grateful mister, I'l contact the moderators immediately!

I hope the sarcasm isnt lost on you.

Because I'm a creep of some sort, a quick check through your post history has shown that you only seem to pop up in threads with a unique blend of G-Unit and Sandforce SSD's (in particular, Intel drives).
One could almost think you have some vendetta against him, or are looking to justify some purchasing decision of yours (an Intel 520 it seems).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/364881-31-advice-needed-1000-build
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/366495-31-build-good
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/366727-31-sanity-check-opinions-gaming

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I dont have any vendetta against anybody, I am in this forum to express my neutral opinion about the products that i own and have had experience of working with them. And I am not justifying my purchase of Intel drive, which happens to run on sandforce controller. But Why should i not give an opinion on something that i own, use and have had a good as well as bad experience
If that is wrong then why do people who havnt even used any product get to give opinions. And not just that - somebody seconds them as well without seeing the logic or data - because he has two or more accounts login accounts.
Where is the neutrality of this forum? Does this forum cater to only marketing freaks, who shout about a few products with username and support their own post With some other username.
If this aint creepy - i wonder what is?

Its creepy that I looked through your publicly accessible post history to see what you were going on about, and drew conclusions based on what I saw? Forgive me for researching a bit into what I am arguing against.

Not saying you cant express your opinion.

Why would anyone bother to create another account just to support their own opinion in a public forum?
To the people who post here regularly (Myself, G-Unit, everyone else in this thread and more), there is no tangible benefit to us if the OP receives good or bad advice. So there is no possible selfish intent behind what you are claiming to happen here.
To imply that it is of malicious intent will require a lot more evidence than you have provided.

If you think that some people are double posting with different accounts, contact the moderators.
That's what they are there for, they of all people will be able to verify whether this is true or not. Your claims mean nothing until there is some evidence behind it.

If you have noticed that a couple of components or brands are being recommended constantly. Then maybe that should clue you in to that its a good component, hence it being recommended.
From my understanding of computer components (Which I do know a lot about, surprisingly), there are no products being consistently recommended here that aren't justified.

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
All I am saying is that the opinions need to be neutral and based on facts or one should have experience of using the product before coming up with an opinion. Guess that's a fair and unselfish way of providing inputs.
However, That doesnt seem to be the way around here. The opinions seem to be posted not based on facts or experience.
How about this:
The person claims Intel 320 has sandforce controller (Intel Used its own Controller, not sandforce or marvel) - He also claims he got his intel 320 drive in 2009 ( it was released in 2011)
and then vociferously claims that Intel/ sandforce ssd's are bad because they give BSOD issues. And he has experience of BSOD because he used it.
Doesnt it clearly prove that the person does not know anything about the drive he is talking about.
( LOL - How come he is reporting the BSOD issues of 2009 in 2012 - is he rip wan winkle?)

Given your knowledge of computer components, do you think, such a person is even qualified to post an opinion about Intel / sandforce BSOD issue?

Just to add icing on the cake - almost by coincidence there are always Neon Neophyte and someonesomewhere or some other person always there to back the guy - Even if he is miles away from facts. ( Not to mention the genius and wisdom certificates this guy gets )

What more evidence do you want ? Wasn't this part of your investigation?

And if you still think that the evidence is not enough and the person is genuinely right in what he is talking . Then it isnt rocket science to prove that this forum is not for genuine users - its only for marketing guys - pushing their product,and who actually bully and try to nullify genuine user opinions by ganging up.

You may have a lot of knowledge and influence on this online community. But I am not very confident of the genuineness of this forum. And My offline influence to my friends and colleagues (It is surprisingly large) will be to move away from this forum to a better one.
Guess that should make your Unselfish marketing friends happy!

Thanks for you suggestions.

You are correct in that the Intel 320 doesn't use a Sandforce controller, and that it was released in 2011. I will admit I don't know why G-Unit is saying those things.

Yes. He has owned a 320 drive, and evidently had issues with it (regardless of whether his diagnosis of the issue was wrong). He has likely read reviews on the drive and has compared to others. He is knowledgeable about the inherent downside to Sandforce drives (slower firmware updates, low performance when confronted with in-compressible data).
I have also passed judgment on Intel drives before, and have come to largely the same conclusion as him. I do think they are overpriced for the performance they offer, and are over-rated. As I pointed out back then, for $5 more you can get a Vertex4 over a 330 and it is a much better drive.

In all the other threads you have posted in, Neon and Someone did not make an appearance. I suspect they only criticized you in this thread as you made an unsubstantiated claim accusing an unknown member/s of this community of maliciously spreading mis-information.
You will tend to find that if your argument opens with the line "strawberry vanilla garbage", you are not taken all that seriously around here.
And if someone makes good suggestions (which I believe G-Unit did), then of course people will back it up. To claim that advice is not to be trusted because it is supported by a forum of tech users is ludicrous.

Again, you are making a big claim here that we are pushing particular products. I cant speak for others, but I can say I have not been approached by any company in an attempt to get me to push a particular brand or product, and I seriously doubt anyone else has either.

g-unit1111

Titan
You are correct in that the Intel 320 doesn't use a Sandforce controller, and that it was released in 2011. I will admit I don't know why G-Unit is saying those things.

The Intel 320 absolutely uses a Sandforce controller. What is going on here?

Hey! Why are you getting offended for? I never mentioned anything about compressed data or Samsung or Vertex 4 or whatever you are talking about. Why are you getting offended or upset about if you haven’t done anything. I was only referring to Gunit111 post some time back, who doesn’t seem to know the difference between Intel Flash memory and controller and spreading misinformation. Let G Unit 111 defend himself if he is right. You should not be offended if you are not Gunit 111!

Whoa whoa whoa... time out here. Take a deep breath, I've used all three drives and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Intel drives are overrated and unreliable. If you look at reviews of their motherboards - the BIOS hasn't been updated since Z68's introduction. If you look at their SSDs, they haven't released a firmware update in quite some time. The last one for the 320 was dated Oct. 2009, and it still doesn't work 100%!!!!

The Samsung 830 is the best of the best - it uses the Toshiba NAND with a Marvell controller. The Vertex 4 also uses a variant of the Marvell controller, and these drives are good. I would definitely purchase these over an Intel 320.

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I own an OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (Indilinx controller) and it works very well.

My 2012 Macbook Air SSD (Samsung SM256E) uses a Sandforce controller from what I have read, it too works very well.

g-unit1111

Titan

I just got a Vertex 4 for my work PC (128GB, run it alongside a Samsung Spinpoint) and it works very well. I think I like the M4 better but this drive has definitely been worth it so far.

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

In Ubuntu and Windows 7 I get an average read speed of over 500MB/s, that's about 5X faster than any spinning HDD I've ever had.

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for confirming my doubt. You guys are all in it together!

How do you know G Unit owns an Intel 320 - Did you check at his house? or you are the Gunit yourself?
How do you know G Unit has read reviews? - do you snoop on him?

What you said about G Unit is called claim or you are G unit yourself. You sure know about a lot of things about G unit, than his capabilities, looks like claim?

Man you sure are so very creepy and sold out to Vertex 4 or is it OCZ - A company known for quality issues and probably sure to die soon. in case if you are too busy controlling this forum - just check what others are saying about your company- http://beta.fool.com/shamapant/2012/09/19/my-favorite-growth-stock-was-big-mistake/12228/

And i thought this forum was for smart people - This whole thing is a set up isnt it?

He says he owns a 320 in one of those threads, and he confirmed it just above...
I assume someone as interested in tech as himself would have bothered to research about something he's buying. And he seems to be well informed, so that assumption is backed up.

Can you rephrase that? I literally don't understand what the sentence says.

I dont care if OCZ as a company are failing or being prosperous, I care if their products are good. If you hadn't noticed, in the latest SSD roundup, the Vertex 4 was the best SSD in its price range. Choosing a superior product is hardly selling out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-3.html
And these quality issues only afflicted the Vertex 3. Problem has been well and truly solved with the Vertex 4 and their other Indillinx drives.

What do you want me to do, buy generic brand components to prove I am not affiliated with a certain company?
Look at my rig, near every component is from different brands. AsRock mobo, Intel CPU, AMD/Sapphire GPU, G.Skill RAM, Seagate HDD, OCZ SSD, Silverstone PSU, NZXT Fan controller. XSPC watercooling kit, PrimoChill tubing and killcoil, Lite-On optical drive, Benq monitor, Coolermaster case and fans, Xigmatek 140mm fan, Bitfenix 24pin extension cable and LED's, some EK LED's. Even old HDD's I had laying around are a mix of Seagate, WD and Samsung.
How much more brand neutrality could you want?

Sure, if you want to believe that this whole forum is a grand conspiracy set up by "companies" (who you haven't identified) to push certain products(which you haven't identified) and we are under their employment to push these products (which we aren't, and you have no evidence otherwise) then go ahead. We cant stop you from this hastily drawn opinion, and it seems at this point we cant convince you otherwise.
Go to some other forum for your advice on tech matters, I am sure you would get the same advice you would get here anyway.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
ocz stand behind their products. thats a fact. i got a vertex 3 max iops early on and was plagued by bluescreens. they fixed it. theres been like 7 firmware updates. now my vertex 3 works flawlessly. even when they do bad, they do good.

i have no complaints about ocz