Ordering Today. 1st build. Triple monitor work/gaming combo

dhouse

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: ordering today or very soon

Budget Range: $1000. cheaper would be nice but probably go over to get it right

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multi-tasking with office software, web browsing, media all at once > gaming (with ability for eyefinity) > video editing and media

buying a monitor: I have 2 samsung t260hd monitors already and about to add a third off craigslist (seperate from cost of system)

OS: Have windows 7 ready to install already, probably get 8 eventually

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg > ebay > tigerdirect etc

Parts Preferences: Prefer Intel CPU other than that open

Overclocking: Doubtful, maybe eventually

SLI or Crossfire: Most likely down the road

Your Monitor Resolution: 3 monitors at 1920x1200 (have dvi and hdmi inputs, NO displayport so thinking sapphire flex is best option?)

Additional Comments: like to run most any modern games on ultra settings with at least one monitor, ability to run eyefinity on decent to high settings. looking forward to assasins creed 3, i like first person shooters and racing games. I'm not into the mmorpg

Why Are You Upgrading: my 8 year old HP has reached the limit of its upgradability and i need more speed for both work and play. i tend to have a ton of stuff running at once for getting work done. also switching from console gaming to pc

Proposed system:
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 Red Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811146086
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
CPU: I5 3570k
GPU: Sapphire Flex Radeon HD 7950 3GB gddr5 OC with boost edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814202007
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139010
Hard Drive: either a 64 or 128 gb ssd whatever i can get a good deal on, saw a 128 kingston on sale for like 80 at office store... i have a netgear readynas with 1tb i use for mass storage for whole home/office so dont need much space just os, office, video editing and games
Optical: Havent decided have some exernal drives laying around so not critical may pick up an internal bluray eventually
RAM: Leaning towards 16GB (2x8) g.skill ripjaw x series ddr3 240 pin but havent decided
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] top-Memory

puts me right around $1100 total after rebates shipping etc

this is my first ground up build on a gaming/all around desktop but i am pretty tech savvy. i have spent every waking moment the last week reading reviews on this site and this is what i came up with. this will probably have to last me 5 years wife before i can get wifes approval again!

My main questions:
Just like to hear some general thoughts, opinions?
Is everything good compatibility wise?
Should I invest more or save some money somewhere? is anything overkill? anything going to be the weak link?
am i leaving myself ability to upgrade, specifically crossfire someday if i need it?
will stock cooling be sufficient or should i upgrade?
is this video card a solid choice for triple monitors with gaming? like ability of flex card to use all dvi with eyefinity without active displayport or other adapters. seems like only option really or i could get flex hd 7870
will psu handle another hd 7950 someday if i need it?
what speed memory should i pick?... read that theres not much benefit once you get up to like 1866 or 2133, but cost goes up quick

Thanks!!! D-HOUSE

Solution
Pretty sure I've seen this before...

The Z77 Extreme4 comes with all the RAM you need (8GB) free when you buy it at Newegg.

I'd be looking at a 7970 if doing 5760x1080.

I'd only really recommend the OCZ Vertex 4 or Samsung 830. Sandforce based drives have too many caveats like only if you use compressible data. They become a lot slower if you hit them with movie files etc.

EDIT: PSU will handle another 7950, and would probably handle 2x7970 as well. DDR3-1600 CL9 is the best you need. FleX looks good and GCN does especially well on high-res/multi-monitor setups.
Pretty sure I've seen this before...

The Z77 Extreme4 comes with all the RAM you need (8GB) free when you buy it at Newegg.

I'd be looking at a 7970 if doing 5760x1080.

I'd only really recommend the OCZ Vertex 4 or Samsung 830. Sandforce based drives have too many caveats like only if you use compressible data. They become a lot slower if you hit them with movie files etc.

EDIT: PSU will handle another 7950, and would probably handle 2x7970 as well. DDR3-1600 CL9 is the best you need. FleX looks good and GCN does especially well on high-res/multi-monitor setups.

Solution

dhouse

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Sorry didnt mean to double post, didnt get any responses so thought it didnt post, i was looking in wrong spot, but now i realize it did. new member, moment of stupidity.

going to take advice and get the extreme4 with the 8gb ram free, and also go with the vertex 4 ssd.

i'm still torn on video card. sapphire flex 7950 seemed like best option because of simplicity for running all monitors via dvi or hdmi. from what i can tell there is no 7970 that wouldnt require a displayport adapter. i see the 670 gtx can run 2x dvi 1x hdmi too, and saving money on ram i could go that nvidia route. or i suppose if the flex 7950 cant run 3 monitors effectively i can always crossfire someday