Solution
The good Radeon 7950 models tend to be able to go almost as far as a 7970 GHz Edition for almost $200 less. The 7970 GHz Edition is overpriced in comparison because the maybe 5-10% higher overclock simply isn't worth 50-75% more money IMO.
Nvidia was originally more popular, but AMD has been catching up very well. I'm not quite sure of the standings right now, but AMD is probably still losing overall, but on-par or even winning if we only count modern cards such as only DX11 capable cards. That's when AMD really got into gear after taking over Ati. Getting the Radeon 5000 cards out a whole six months or so before the GTX 400 series was quite the accomplishment.

otakubr

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I'm planning to build a new rig soon, haven't decided neither budget or specs yet. So i was just wondering what most people are buying. As far as i know intel outsells hugely amd in CPUs market, and i would like to know if there was some data over this about GPU. Do anyone knows which one is selling more, the 670gtx or HD7970? I'm considering one of these. By the way, thanks for the steam data, i forgot about that

The 7950 overclocks equally to the 7970, so unless you don't overclock at all, I'd recommend it above the 7970 and the 670. It wins in overclocking performance against the 670 overall, hence the recommendation over the 670, although it's not so much that the 670 is not feasible if you want a Nvidia card like it is against the 660 TI.

Guys did you even read his question? I asked which company is more popular, not what he should buy or what is better for his money.

@OP: I read somewhere that Nvidia holds 75% of GPU market and AMD holds only 25%, though I cannot remember where I read it.

We already settled the first question and OP made another comment. We've been addressing that one since.

otakubr

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
75% is impressive if it is really the case. I'm asking about the numbers because i believe that games developers shall make their games based on best selling hardware and for example, in the case of this clear nvidia advantage, games that run better on their drivers should be upcoming. Am i wrong?

Going by which one sells more is a poor way to choose what to buy. Performance, price, overclocking, and such are aspects of the cards that should be compared to decide what card(s) to buy.

Being more popular overall is irrelevant if most of the cards in these surveys are old cards that aren't being optimized for. Game developers tend to not optimize for one company over the other because you can't really optimize for a company, you can only optimize for a particular series of cards. For example, games that were optimized for Fermi GPUs (GTX 400 and 500) often run very well on GCN GPUs (Radeon 7000). Rest assured that not many games are optimized specifically for Nvidia or AMD.

Also, I'll reiterate a point that I made earlier. If we go by the modern DX11 and better cards, the cards that are actually still getting driver/game optimizing, AMD/Ati and Nvidia are fairly similar in market penetration.