Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Will this crossfire setup work?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 24, 2012 11:32:43 PM

Hi, right now I have 1 7950 in my system. I was thinking about getting another 7950 and a 7770 and doing 3 way crossfire. Is this possible? Or will the 7750 slow down the other cards? Thanks!

More about : crossfire setup work

a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 12:01:38 AM

tivatar said:
Crossfire can only be done with cards of the same generation, and same tier. The 7900's cannot be linked to the 7700's. ( Source http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Il... )


There are exceptions to that caused by re-brands. For example, I've done CF with 6770s and 5770s before.

However, yes, 7900 and 7700 are not supported together in CF. It could be done if AMD wanted to, but AMD did not make driver support for it.
Score
0
Related resources
August 25, 2012 1:43:18 AM

OK. Thank you guys. So would it be worth it to get a 7970 and use that with the 7950?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 1:46:36 AM

ThePlasticBling said:
OK. Thank you guys. So would it be worth it to get a 7970 and use that with the 7950?

save the money and get a HD 7950 and oc both
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 1:53:51 AM

gamerkila57 said:
save the money and get a HD 7950 and oc both


Agreed.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 2:15:01 AM

CCC 12.7 improved Radeon 7000 CF support greatly. Even CCC 12.6 helped a lot too. With overclocking, a good 7950 can match even a good 7970 in performance and CF doesn't change this. 7950 ~= 7970 when both are overclocked to maximum safe frequencies. The 7970 GHz Edition might have a small advantage, but not the 7970 and the 7970 GHz Edition's advantage surely isn't worth the roughly $150-200 or more premium over the 7950.
Share
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 2:21:28 AM

blazorthon said:
CCC 12.7 improved Radeon 7000 CF support greatly. Even CCC 12.6 helped a lot too. With overclocking, a good 7950 can match even a good 7970 in performance and CF doesn't change this. 7950 ~= 7970 when both are overclocked to maximum safe frequencies. The 7970 GHz Edition might have a small advantage, but not the 7970 and the 7970 GHz Edition's advantage surely isn't worth the roughly $150-200 or more premium over the 7950.

true but when both are oced the HD 7970 will beat the HD 7950 by a good margin
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 2:41:06 AM

gamerkila57 said:
true but when both are oced the HD 7970 will beat the HD 7950 by a good margin


That's incorrect. With both cards overclocked, a good 7950 and a good 7970 will be roughly on-par. Either one could take the lead, depending on how good of a unit it is. This is because the 7970's advantage is almost purely in its clock frequencies (256 cores and related hardware advantage is almost meaningless when there are already so many because scaling with core count increases and such drops as you increase the amounts) and overclocking fixes that. The 7970 doesn't even have more frequency headroom to stop the 7950 from meeting it.
Score
0
August 25, 2012 4:17:59 PM

Best answer selected by ThePlasticBling.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 6:05:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!