Multimedia Audio Controller

Hi. We have a soundblaster card on our XP machine. A few days ago we
were hit by a searchpage hijacker. Finally cured that (or so it seems)
with a program called StartPage Guard. i downloaded and installed
Spyware, Spybot, HiJackThis, Pest Patrol, Ad-Aware. Shortly before i
embarked on this, we lost our audio. i don't know if the lost audio is
connected to the searchpage hijacker or not.

i uninstalled the Soundblaster driver and rebooted. The system detected
it but could not install it. The install message reads as follows:

"An event occurred during the installation of this software.
The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an
application request."

i checked Device Manager again, and after i uninstalled Soundblaster,
Multimedia Audio Controller showed up as not working (although still
enabled). i tried to uninstall it but the computer froze about and then
game me a "not responding" message.

Any ideas? This is my husband's work computer and he's really being
inconvenienced.

Thanks, --e

Figured i should add that i rebooted a number of times, a few times in
safe mode.

--e