Sign in with
Your question

How to connect 1 PC to 2 monitor 2 keyboards & 2 mice?

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2013 4:13:12 AM

ok heres whats up. I got issue. i cant afford to buy a second comp and the kids both want to play, can i set it up so we can run 2 copies of World of Warcraft at the same time using 2 separate sets of keyboards and mice?
i have 2 monitors right now, can run both instances at same time, but they dont both control at the same time and the mice and keyboards are not separate they work as one. is there a program out here or a way to set that up?
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 100 C Monitor
March 3, 2013 10:08:44 AM

I am not aware that this is possible.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 10:18:15 AM

there are pc's biuld to do that but i don't know the name of them
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
March 3, 2013 10:37:02 AM

I've never seen a windows machine work like that, but I do know that there are setups for classrooms where you can have one machine runs everyone's station. I'm pretty sure these were mostly linux based though, which could pose a problem.

I'm not sure it would work like you want, but have you tried something like Virtual Box that makes a separate machine? Virtual machines usually don't work well with games, and I'm not certain if you can redirect inputs like you want, but it's worth a look in to.

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 10:39:56 AM

Traciatim said:
I've never seen a windows machine work like that, but I do know that there are setups for classrooms where you can have one machine runs everyone's station. I'm pretty sure these were mostly linux based though, which could pose a problem.

I'm not sure it would work like you want, but have you tried something like Virtual Box that makes a separate machine? Virtual machines usually don't work well with games, and I'm not certain if you can redirect inputs like you want, but it's worth a look in to.

i remember i saw an hp something run 14 pcboxthingys and one mane pc but it was like 5000€ for the pc alone
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
March 3, 2013 10:44:23 AM

jaslion said:
i remember i saw an hp something run 14 pcboxthingys and one mane pc but it was like 5000€ for the pc alone

and therein lies the next problem. 1 machine running a fairly demanding game 2 times will need some pretty beefy hardware all by itself, especially if you need something like vitual box to get it going since you have to dedicate resources to your real machine and the virtual one.

Though it depends on what you're running, because any normal machine could have piles of connected users if you were just doing an intro programming class or something and they all just needed an IDE up and that's about it.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
March 3, 2013 10:56:03 AM

there is a multipoint (I think) instance of windows that does this, but it won't come cheap and as noted above the hardware you are going to need is going to be on the expensive side. Also I'm not sure what version of windows it is, and therefore whether it'll be running latest dx versions etc.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 11:00:01 AM

Traciatim said:
and therein lies the next problem. 1 machine running a fairly demanding game 2 times will need some pretty beefy hardware all by itself, especially if you need something like vitual box to get it going since you have to dedicate resources to your real machine and the virtual one.

Though it depends on what you're running, because any normal machine could have piles of connected users if you were just doing an intro programming class or something and they all just needed an IDE up and that's about it.

i think that thing had some xeon in it and a really good graphics card (i think an 4870*2 or 5870 crossfire i know it was something with x2 and 870)
m
l
a c 112 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
March 3, 2013 11:38:33 AM

you just plug em in, but they will both work just like you had 1 mouse or keyboard attaches.
you cant for instance set em up so 1 player uses 1 set and another uses the other.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 12:17:05 PM

Glovepie.
m
l
August 30, 2013 2:48:35 AM

Hope you havent bought 2 pcs already...you have been misled here to believe this configuration on not achievable.

I have setup same configuration on my pc and funny enough for same game wow :) 
All you need to do is create two windows accounts on the system and install software SOFTXPAND from Miniframe (It has 20 day trial period so you can test if it works before making purchase).

This software will give you ability to log on simultaneously to same pc with individual users, with each user having control of their own mouse and keyboard.

If you're using a HDMI device as display (i use Benq w1080st projector) you need to set this device as primary display.
I recommend separate installations of wow for individual users accounts.

Bear in mind your pc although running separate user accounts will still dish out same ip address for both instances, some games tend to have issues with this configuration (i had frequent disconnects from wow server), workaround would be to use the virtual ip feature of SOFTXPAND, documentation on Miniframe sites covers the steps to achieve same.

Hope it works out for you.
m
l
a c 112 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2013 8:54:57 AM

i wouldnt recomend you play on a punkbuster enabled server. it will often 2 identical ips or at the least keep booting you... but it sounds like its a viable workaround. just be aware there may be some issues with security and validation server side.
m
l
!