Troubleshooting Help - Random Reboots

Nikanj

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hey all, I'm a first time poster but have been reading this forum for years.

I'm having trouble isolating a likely hardware problem causing random reboots of my PC.

A couple of weeks ago my PC started rebooting randomly, this could happen once every few minutes or it could be hours between reboots. It started happening in Windows 8 but a reformat didn't help and the problem also happens in Windows 7 and Ubuntu. There is no hang or freeze, it just reboots even while the computer is idle.

I thought it might be a hard drive issue so I loaded BIOS and left it there and it still rebooted.

I replaced the graphics cards with another one I had lying around and that didn't seem to fix the issue either.

The CPU temperature looks fine, it's running at 25-30 degrees on a dedicated 3 radiator water cooling loop. It was overclocked but I also tried restoring factory clocks and turning off turbo.

Memtest didn't find a problems with the memory.

I think the PSU is to blame as that is the oldest component in my build. But replacing it would be quite a laborious task and before I do that I want to be sure that it isn't my memory, CPU or motherboard.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? How would I go about isolating the faulty part?

Hardware:

CPU: i7 2600k @ 5Ghz
RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengeance 4GB
Graphics: 2 x HD6970
Hard Drives: 2 x OCZ Agility 3 SSD and 2x WD Caviar Black
PSU: Silverstone 750W (Five years old but 100,000 hours MTBF)

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Nikanj

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I tried removing both of the 6970s and replacing them with an old 8800 GTS, it didn't fix the problem. The reboots happen just as frequently when idle or under load. They even happen when I haven't booted into an OS at all. It's strange.

Nikanj

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I guess to simplify my question is has anyone experienced random reboots due to a CPU or Motherboard fault? Or had issues with their PSU causing this?