Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Home built corei7 860, asus P7H55-v mobo, gskill 1600 mhz ripjaws x,

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2012 4:25:54 PM

i have built my system with subject specs, but there's not display, keyboard and mouse lights are on and keyboard lights also flashes when power is on. but there's no display. please help me in this regard.

corei7 860
asus P7H55-V
gskill 1600mhz ripjaws x
500 watts psu

October 19, 2012 4:40:21 PM

Your cpu does not have an on-die graphics card, only lower end first generation core chips have on-die graphics and your motherboard uses the on-board graphics of those cpus.
You'll need to buy at least a low-end graphics card to have video-out capability.
October 19, 2012 5:03:08 PM

i got your point kevin, but i have tried external gpu 128 mb and result is same. what should i try now?
Related resources
October 19, 2012 7:41:08 PM

What do you mean "external graphics card?" Almost all desktop computers run on an internal graphics card which you plug in to a pci-e slot on your motherboard. There are external eSATA cards for enthusiast level notebooks. The cheapest modern card which runs adequately for most tasks is the amd 6670. You could also run a 7750 for a little more graphics power, or spend up to around $250 on any of the other gtx 600 or amd 7800 level cards and get even better performance while sucking more power.
The low end gpus don't need power adapters but better ones always do.
If you put in a 6670 and plug your monitor into the new graphics card everything should work.
October 20, 2012 3:09:01 AM

kevin83 said:
What do you mean "external graphics card?" Almost all desktop computers run on an internal graphics card which you plug in to a pci-e slot on your motherboard. There are external eSATA cards for enthusiast level notebooks. The cheapest modern card which runs adequately for most tasks is the amd 6670. You could also run a 7750 for a little more gra power, or spend up to around $250 on any of the other gtx 600 or amd 7800 level cards and get even better performance while sucking more power.
The low end gpus don't need power adapters but better ones always do.
If you put in a 6670 and plug your monitor into the new graphics card everything should work.

for instance kevin, i have tried a gpu of 128mb to check display in pci-e slot, but its not working either. will i be needing a higher end card?

Best solution

October 20, 2012 9:30:04 AM

Theoretically not, that gpu should work if you have the proper 6-pin power adapter plugged in the back (if it needs one) and if you plug the monitor straight into the graphics card (not the motherboard, a lot of people mix that one up).
You should also make sure you aren't doing anything impossible like running a "vga to hdmi" or "vga to dvi" cable as those are scams, Analog connections almost always need a power source to be converted to digital. Optimally you should be running a straight dvi to dvi cable.
Also make sure your monitor is on the right input for the cable.
Hope that helps.
October 29, 2012 9:46:54 AM

Best answer selected by bilalkhan.
October 29, 2012 9:47:57 AM

thanks kevin for your support, i have bought hd6870 and my system is running smoothly now.
!