Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What gtx 670 should i get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2012 1:36:59 AM

Hey guys,
so i want really good fps on my games like bf3, crysis 2, skyrim, minecraft ETC
I was looking at the gigabyte gtx 670 wndforce oc. Is there similar card that is just as quiet and just as cool in temps? I was looking at the Zotac 670 AMP! edition, and the Asus gtx 670 directcu ii TOP. Which one is the best for fps and for acoustics and temps :) 

More about : gtx 670

a c 189 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 4:36:58 AM

Before saying anything, why don't you tell us your full specs first?
CPU? RAM? Mobo? PSU? Monitor? Budget?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 4:39:43 AM

Bayman115 said:
Hey guys,
so i want really good fps on my games like bf3, crysis 2, skyrim, minecraft ETC
I was looking at the gigabyte gtx 670 wndforce oc. Is there similar card that is just as quiet and just as cool in temps? I was looking at the Zotac 670 AMP! edition, and the Asus gtx 670 directcu ii TOP. Which one is the best for fps and for acoustics and temps :) 

Try the mso gtx 670 power edition or evga gtx 670 FTW
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 4:45:57 AM

Well first thing off the bat is that you need to have an already well-managed airflow system in your case to begin with, because those are all GPUs with aftermarket coolers that intake and exhaust the air it uses inside the case. These coolers are not as forgiving when it comes to bad airflow, compared to blower fans which just exhaust heat straight out the case.

However, if you do already have a great airflow system working in your case, then the differences in accoustics and temps would be insignificant. They all have gargantuan heatsinks and heatpipes coupled with beastly fans. You really can't go wrong with either.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:09:15 AM

TheTrueGamer said:
Well first thing off the bat is that you need to have an already well-managed airflow system in your case to begin with, because those are all GPUs with aftermarket coolers that intake and exhaust the air it uses inside the case. These coolers are not as forgiving when it comes to bad airflow, compared to blower fans which just exhaust heat straight out the case.

However, if you do already have a great airflow system working in your case, then the differences in accoustics and temps would be insignificant. They all have gargantuan heatsinks and heatpipes coupled with beastly fans. You really can't go wrong with either.

the evga gtx 670 FTW exhausts air out the back of the case. for that card airflow isnt very important
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:10:09 AM

ASUS DCUII TOP. Yes, others are true, make sure everything supports your card.
m
l
August 25, 2012 5:18:53 AM

TheTrueGamer said:

I have the haf-x the airflow is very good
m
l
August 25, 2012 5:23:02 AM

wa1 said:
Before saying anything, why don't you tell us your full specs first?
CPU? RAM? Mobo? PSU? Monitor? Budget?

Mobo: Asrock x79 extreme 7
CPU: i7 3820
Ram: 16gb 1600mhz corsair vengeance ( I know it's overkill )
GPU: ?
Case: Coolermaster haf x nvidia edition
Psu: Corsair hx750
Cooler: corsair h100
HDD: 1tb caviar black
Opd: asus 24x DVD/rw
Monitor: benQ xl2410t
Budget: not a problem at the moment
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:24:20 AM

MSI PE edition is quiet expensive. I would go with that or the Evga 670 ftw.
m
l
a c 597 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:36:16 AM

I would be all over that Asus TOP for its high factory overclock, cool temps, and really, really quiet fans. In my opinion, when all's considered, that's probably the best video card on the market, bar none.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:37:47 AM

Hmm I didn't notice it went down. Last time I checked it was 439..thanks! And the TOP models have not been out for a long time. Are they back?
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 6:07:01 AM

Quote : MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.TechPoweUp gives The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition an 9.7 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 6:28:05 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Quote : MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.TechPoweUp gives The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition an 9.7 rating

Its only $410 on newegg.com
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 6:53:55 AM

MSI is the worst brand in the world dont go there

Something with a reference cooler and stock speeds - because they are far more reliable, keep there shape and extract the heat from the case
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 8:10:32 AM

apache_lives said:
MSI is the worst brand in the world dont go there

What?
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 8:15:05 AM

OP:
Well I would go with the ASUS version if those two are your only choice. But if the MSI PE is also an option, I will go with the MSI instead.
m
l
August 25, 2012 8:59:27 AM

well i dont know about msi, i believe its actually good tough i had msi motherboard and the system with p4 and radeon 9700 pro was really unstable and i was getting instant restarts. i guess it could bee cause of 400w psu tough ... then 2.5 years ago i no longer could stomach it so i bought new midrange system and been playing till today on it

personnely i would go with msi 670 power edition if you dont intend to use multimonitor setup

best
revro
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:10:23 AM

bigcyco1 said:

Yea the Msi card is good, but techpowerup gave the gigabyte card a 9.8 making it 0.1 rating better :)  hahaha they're pretty much the same...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 9:19:33 AM

Bayman115 said:
Yea the Msi card is good, but techpowerup gave the gigabyte card a 9.8 making it 0.1 rating better :)  hahaha they're pretty much the same...

The gigabyte card has a BLUE pcb. if you dont care about that, then that is an option too.
I would not choose the gigabyte card as i HATE blue pcb's
m
l
August 25, 2012 10:03:00 AM

timarp000 said:
The gigabyte card has a BLUE pcb. if you dont care about that, then that is an option too.
I would not choose the gigabyte card as i HATE blue pcb's

Yea alot of people complained about that but honestly I really don't care! In my case you won't see it anyway
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 11:40:00 AM

Bayman115 said:
Yea alot of people complained about that but honestly I really don't care! In my case you won't see it anyway

I would still go with the 670 PE :) .
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:44:10 PM

Sadly, there is no ASUS DCII TOP anymore.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:49:05 PM

refillable said:
I would still go with the 670 PE :) .

i would go with an asus 690 if i could afford it!
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 1:56:01 PM

Bayman115 said:
i would go with an asus 690 if i could afford it!

Oh so I missed the point. You can't get MSI PE? Get the ASUS DCUII (non TOP) and overclock it to the 'TOP' level.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 2:30:16 PM

All the newegg reviews I read about Asus said they were bad. One guy had to RMA his card, they sent him the same card back, not fixed. This has happened to others too. Asus is usually a good brand though.

The gigabyte is longer and stays cooler. Its not that bad and requires a 6x8 pin connection so it could possibly dray more power. It has a slight lower clock than the ftw.

Get something with similar clocks as the ftw and make sure it fits lol.

The asus non top models have a locked memory or voltage so they can't be overclocked that much. The overclocking to the max is what made them problematic.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 2:50:55 PM

Just read these end-user OC results from Overclock.net:

Gigabyte Overclocks

Same card, too long only the last 90ish have useful information

MSI PE Overclocks

EVGA FTW Overclocks

ASUS DCII 670 Top Overclocks

I could save you the time and give you my conclusion reading through all these and the 1.3Ghz+ OC result tally:

There is no difference in between these card's probablity to reach a stable 1.3Ghz+ OC that can't be explained by just Silicon lottery luck which is not entirely in the manufacture's control.

So instead of focusing on which factory OC card have a higher factory OC and should/could reach the best OC result, you should focus more on which card runs quieter/cools better/cost less(hint: the answer is Gigabyte Windforce 3X for all 3, ASUS Top use to beat it in the first 2 but now it is out of stock).
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:01:41 PM

refillable said:
Oh so I missed the point. You can't get MSI PE? Get the ASUS DCUII (non TOP) and overclock it to the 'TOP' level.

i'll prob just go sli gigabyte windforce
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 12:52:34 AM

Go ahead.
m
l
August 26, 2012 4:13:14 AM

Happy with my EVGA FTW. Could OC a bit more compared to some others I have seen, but that's hardly a show stopper.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 5:11:25 AM

refillable said:
What?
gotta ignore the non sense! :pt1cable:  ;) 
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:03:47 AM

sherlockwing said:
Just read these end-user OC results from Overclock.net:

Gigabyte Overclocks

Same card, too long only the last 90ish have useful information

MSI PE Overclocks

EVGA FTW Overclocks

ASUS DCII 670 Top Overclocks

I could save you the time and give you my conclusion reading through all these and the 1.3Ghz+ OC result tally:

There is no difference in between these card's probablity to reach a stable 1.3Ghz+ OC that can't be explained by just Silicon lottery luck which is not entirely in the manufacture's control.

So instead of focusing on which factory OC card have a higher factory OC and should/could reach the best OC result, you should focus more on which card runs quieter/cools better/cost less(hint: the answer is Gigabyte Windforce 3X for all 3, ASUS Top use to beat it in the first 2 but now it is out of stock).

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 3:20:32 PM

I still like the Evga FTW over all those. The Gigabyte looks decent too. I didn't see much on the MSI PE browsing all the forum posts. In all, they are kind of similar.
m
l

Best solution

a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 3:39:34 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 4:01:06 PM

Yeh I don't really like the rebates either. If I don't find the evga ftw model anymore that is most likely what I will go with.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 4:13:03 PM

GPU Temperature Comparison
Idle Load
ZOTAC GTX 670 AMP! 35°C 70°C
NVIDIA GTX 670 37°C 82°C
ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II 38°C 74°C
Palit GTX 670 JetStream 30°C 75°C
NVIDIA GTX 680 45°C 85°C
ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II 33°C 70°C
AMD HD 7970 45°C 78°C

Maximum Overclock Comparison
Max. GPU Clock Max. Memory Clock
ZOTAC GTX 670 AMP! 1150 MHz 1890 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 670 1100 MHz 1760 MHz
ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II 1110 MHz 1890 MHz
Palit GTX 670 JetStream 1120 MHz 1750 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 680 1147 MHz 1833 MHz
ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II 1207 MHz 1766 MHz
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 4:19:09 PM

Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 For $331 shipped AR w/ Borderlands 2 not sure if that is a bad card or not but i just thought i would pass the info along lol anyway good luck!

Newegg has Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card (67NPH6DV5ZVX) + Borderlands 2 Game Coupon (added to cart automatically) for $390 - 10% off promo code HARDOCPX822B - $20 rebate = $331 with free shipping.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 4:33:35 PM

I see one that is 429 and rebate. The regular with lower clock of 980Mhz is $399. I don't see why the other galaxy model is $442.. weird.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 5:05:54 PM

Hmmm good question from what i have read EVGA has announced several different GTX670 cards.The main differences as far as i have heard :

1. Reference model

2. Superclocked: An additional 5 variants of this model. Standard SC, SC + Backplate, SC Signature, SC Signature + Backplate and SC Signature 2. Signature Edition will have 8+6 pin power connectors and 5 phase VRM. Signature 2 will go one step further and have a dual fan cooler.

3. FTW: 2 variants, a 2GB version and 4GB version, each with 8+6 pin power connectors and 8 phase VRM and the same cooler as the SC versions. 4GB version will have a backplate.

4. Classified: 4GB memory, 8+8+6 pin power connectors, 14 phase VRM, OC Bios.

5. Standard version same as SC Signature air cooled. Classified version same as Classified air cooled.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 5:07:29 PM

The one for $399 at tigerdirect I bet is the LE FTW edition. So many variations for the same card to be honest. I'm unsure to get the Roswill blackhawk case now or get the card first, try to run it in my Challenger and then if it does not fit, get the new case.

I hate deciding, on top of all that I'm in a middle of a move so its hard to keep tabs on deals and such lol.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 6:10:47 PM

selayan said:
The one for $399 at tigerdirect I bet is the LE FTW edition. So many variations for the same card to be honest. I'm unsure to get the Roswill blackhawk case now or get the card first, try to run it in my Challenger and then if it does not fit, get the new case.

I hate deciding, on top of all that I'm in a middle of a move so its hard to keep tabs on deals and such lol.

The LE models are made from Chips that didn't make the cut for the real FTW models, basically how much farther it can boost beyond the stock model is limited. You can look it up on Overclock.net to see EVGA reps say the same thing I just said.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 6:13:25 PM

sherlockwing said:
The LE models are made from Chips that didn't make the cut for the real FTW models, basically how much farther it can boost beyond the stock model is limited. You can look it up on Overclock.net to see EVGA reps say the same thing I just said.
lol nice find i just read about it about ten minutes ago
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 6:13:29 PM

lol i hear you been there done that it's dam frustrating i know
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 6:22:58 PM

Well I never considered the LE model anyway. I would rather get stock than that. Its crazy how all these cards are so close, even the top models too. Makes it hard, before it used to be like you want the highest, get this top model. If you wanted the next level down, you got that and didn't need to worry about comparing other brands (Amd variations) and other criteria.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 6:24:01 PM

Personally i would only consider buying three of the many 670's 1.Asus Top 2.MSI PE 3. EVGA FTW sure the others are not at all bad choices but for me i am stubborn and it would be one of those three or none at all ahahaha if your not as picky i would say flip a coin and pick
m
l
!