Best cooler master case? HAF X or Storm trooper

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Right now I am really liking the look of either of these 2 cases but I am really undecided on which one to purchase as they both seem to be so good.

I just wanted to ask the opinions of people are know more than me which one they would choose and why, or would they choose a different case all together? honestly when I was looking at reviews for cooler master cases these 2 seemed to be the best but I could be very wrong in that respect if there are other models that I do not know about.

had a haf x

got the storm trooper now

cant go wrong with either

but to me the trooper is better

would give the haf x 9 out of 10

and trooper 9.5

trooper has

better cable management--got a huge amount of cables behind the motherboard

hot swap dock to quickly stick in 2.5 drives( one of the few things i could fault it for is it should have been for 3.5 drives as well)

built in fan controller

nice rubberised finsh on top and handle

just seems less flimsy side panels to me

and personally think it just looks better--especially the white version

edit--and the trooper was £30 cheaper than the haf x when i got it

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

I went with the storm trooper for its looks. I am using the built in fan controls now but being I leave my computer on all day I am going to let the motherboard control them.
no need to have them run all day if not needed. storm trooper also has a handle that comes in handy for the many times already that I had to lift it up.

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Dude I just got the storm trooper, and it is le bomb. The best thing about it other than the awesome amount of airflow this thing has (plus the controller, which is "ok") is the ability to change the 2 drive bay compartments 90 degrees. There are like 10 slots for HDD and lots of room. But the icing on the cake is the cable management in this case.

Premium.

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Interesting, looks like I want to go for the Storm Trooper.

One thing I want to ask, would you buy more case fans with the case for added airflow? and if so where would you put them and which case fans would you recommend to buy?

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I have seen a couple rigs with a fan on the bottom of the chasis and 2 small 120's on the side panel grate. If you decide that you want water cooling and get a doube rad, that will be mounted in place of the exhaust fan on the top of the case with the rad fans blowing air down. Im sure there could be other places that you can put fans, just off the top of my head thats a good place to start.

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

That is interesting, it seems like the Storm Trooper does indeed have more features but I did want to ask about the temperatures of the HAF X in comparison to the Storm Trooper.
It looks like there are more mounting points for fans on the HAF X, does that make it a cooler case or does that not matter?

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
It could make it cooler, but marginal. The storm trooper also has other places that you can put fans (the side panel and bottom panel). I personally would still put my vote in on the storm trooper. I couldnt be happier on this purchase. If you are worried about temps in comparison, I would estimate MAYBE a 1-2 degree difference if that.