Solved

$600 Build Help Needed

After surfing around I came to these components :

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R

HDD:Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST500DM002

GPU:MSI Computer Corp. ATI Radeon HD7770 1020 MHz 1GB DDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Graphics Cards R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC

CPU:AMD Athlon II X3 455 Processor (ADX455WFGMBOX)

Motherboard:ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior (RC-430-KWN1)

PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550w Power Supply (RS550-PCARE3-US)

Wifi card: ASUS (PCE-N10) Wireless-N Network Adapter (150Mbps Transmit / 150Mbps Receive) with PCI-E Interface, Include Full Height and Low Profile bracket, WPS Button Support

OS: Windows 8 System Builder DVD 64-Bit

Dvd Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE 22X SATA DVDRW Internal Drive (Black), Bulk without Software

All parts were selected with Amazon prices.

Total with Tax+Shipping: $626.56

My budget is 600$ so this is a little bit over but it is fine. I wanted to make sure everything fit together and if I needed any extra tools or if my PSU was enough to power my GPU/CPU. Thanks. Also is there any parts that you could switch out for something with better performance but still keeping in the low 600$ range?
47 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build needed
  1. I would switch out the RAM for 1600. 1866 makes very little difference in most applications.
    Your mobo has Core Unlocker which will let you unlock the 4th core on your CPU making it into a Phenom II x4.
  2. obsama1 said:
    I would switch out the RAM for 1600. 1866 makes very little difference in most applications.
    Your mobo has Core Unlocker which will let you unlock the 4th core on your CPU making it into a Phenom II x4.

    Would my current 550W PSU support me unlocking the 4th core?
  3. get an i3 3220 and switch motherboard to LGA 1156 socket type and get an geforce gtx 650 only $100 at newegg
  4. The 650 is a bad value. The 7770 easily smokes it. A 550w PSU will be enough for unlocking.
  5. Alright thanks, I was worrying 550 wouldn't be enough.
  6. Is that Wifi card worth it or...? Do I need to buy any extra cables/tools or does my build come w/ all the cables needed.
  7. The card looks pretty good. The parts come with all necessary cables. The only tool you'll need is a screwdriver.
  8. But I think you will get way better performance for the money by the Intel Pentium 2.9 Ghz and an B75 motherboard. Then you can save money. And you can get a Kingston T1 set with 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz for $25

    I made this build for another dude earlier:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPuv
  9. ^^^^
    Great build, but at that budget, drop the SSD and get a Phenom II x4 965/A10.

    EDIT: Nvm. Didn't see that the SSD was $30.
  10. the OP's budget is $600, so I'd get a better CPU. A Phenom II x4 965 or FX-4350 will be good.
  11. raj00 said:
    get an i3 3220 and switch motherboard to LGA 1156 socket type and get an geforce gtx 650 only $100 at newegg


    These components are not even compatible

    For the OP's build

    If you are gaming then 2 x2 gig of RAM is plenty . No game can use more than this anyway
    Dont expect to online game over a wifi connection . Latencies will usually be too high . Run a cable in stead
    You could use a cheaper and still quality PSU like the 400 watt silverstone strider . I havent checked prices
    There may be room in your budget for an FX 4100 once the FX 4300 is released in a few days
  12. Ye, I only took the SSD for the price of $30 dollars :)

    Its great - good speed for the price.

    Here is an AMD version:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPxd
  13. The only reason for the 600 Watt PSU in my build is the good price now, I have had 2 in life and they are reliable and modular...
  14. Read this for my reason to go Intel these days:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-2.html

    I like AMD too, but it feels like you get way more for your money when its that budget with Intel
  15. I have noticed Intel chipsets tend to be more expensive so I dont know if it would fit within my budget.
  16. Outlander_04 said:
    These components are not even compatible

    For the OP's build

    If you are gaming then 2 x2 gig of RAM is plenty . No game can use more than this anyway
    Dont expect to online game over a wifi connection . Latencies will usually be too high . Run a cable in stead
    You could use a cheaper and still quality PSU like the 400 watt silverstone strider . I havent checked prices
    There may be room in your budget for an FX 4100 once the FX 4300 is released in a few days
    I checked around and the FX-1000 costs about 40$ more and requires different motherboard which is more expensive. Even with reducing the ram and taking out wifi it is too expensive :(
  17. Yeah, Both the new FM2 for A10-5800K or the AM3+ for OC are more expensive than Intel.

    That's why I showed you what I did
  18. verdenshersker said:
    Yeah, Both the new FM2 for A10-5800K or the AM3+ for OC are more expensive than Intel.

    That's why I showed you what I did



    Yeah I took a look at it and it is 2.9ghz at dual core for 70$, The price for the Athlon II x3 455 3.3ghz. I have there is 76$ so its almost the same in price.
  19. Wouldnt the Athlon II 455 have better performance than that Pentium 2.9ghz dual core you mentioned?
  20. The Pentium will have better performance.

    In one of the other posts, I placed a link about it.

    And this is what Tom's Hardware write about it:

    It turns out that the budget-oriented Sandy Bridge-based Pentium family performs very well in games. Specifically, Intel's Pentium G630 beat the FX-4100, -6100, and -8120 in our sub-$200 CPU gaming comparison. In fact, it finished right on par with the Phenom II X4 955.

    At 2.9 GHz, the Pentium G850 is 200 MHz faster than the G630, earning our recommendation at the $70 price point. There's not much else to add, except that if you consider the Phenom II X4 to be a capable gaming CPU, Intel's Pentium G850 is an even faster option that uses less power.


    And the Phenom II X4 are stronger than the Athlon II X3 or X4.

    I went from a Athlon II X3 445 unlocked to Phenom II X4 and a minor OC til 3,5 Ghz. I have better gaming performance with the even smaller Pentium G620 (2.6 Ghz)
  21. Another thing - I would still skip the Windows 8 for a while and just keep the Windows 7
  22. verdenshersker said:
    Another thing - I would still skip the Windows 8 for a while and just keep the Windows 7

    The builders editions costs about the same and if I remember correctly Windows 8 makes more efficient use of componenets...
  23. AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996&name=Processors-Desktops

    ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ $66 [including shipping and rebate ]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157319&name=AMD-Motherboards

    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) $25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&name=Desktop-Memory

    HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition $115 [ after rebate ]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

    CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 $25 [ after rebate]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&name=Power-Supplies

    Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

    COOLER MASTER Elite 430 $50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227&name=Computer-Cases

    Any dvd drive $18

    Total is $479

    Far better gamer than the pentium or athlon builds. Far far better application performance

    Add the wireless card if you want

    Windows 8 preferably as well
  24. I totally disagree with outlander... Just check the reviews...
    He puts down an amd set with better specs, but exactly same performance and worse in some cases. And those pieces are more expensive, so you have to go with the hd7770 1gb instead of a hd7850 2 gb.

    Furthermore is the 500 gb hdd he points out same price as the 1.5 tb i have etc.
    also his 4 gb ram is the same price as the 8 gb i point out...
    Many things...

    They just had a real test with windows 7 vs 8 and it is basically the same in performance....

    But its up to you speakerman, but i would say my build is way better.
    And tou can just read the components review....
  25. +1 to Verdenshersker's build. But, since PD comes out next week, just get the FX-4350 instead of the PII. But solid build!
  26. This works for a cheap budget build, and should be able to game:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $417.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  27. The pentium cpu does not make a good gaming computer


    The ranking of it on this site as a good gaming cpu is based on tests using a $500 graphics card and low resolution . This is completely artificial . Once you start gaming with appropriately priced graphics cards , and at 1080p resolution the pentium is a dog .

    www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-3220-benchmarks,3314.html

    Here is an FX compared to the BEST intel dual core which is much better than the pentium . The FX is generally better at applications and it close enough to identical to the i3 in DX 10 and DX 11 games .
    It suffers in DX9 games because the game engines cant multithread , but those games are now older and there will not be any more of them .

    Yes they use an FX 4170 , but that is an identical piece of silicon to the 4100
    The only change needed to run at 4170 speeds is a simple BIOS change to the multiplier

    Once you factor in the AMD's support for the next two generations of processors [making upgrades possible while intels socket 1155 dies in a few months ]
    there is no reason for any gamer or general pc user to buy any intel dual core . and especially not the crippled pentium models
  28. Outlander_04 said:
    The pentium cpu does not make a good gaming computer


    The ranking of it on this site as a good gaming cpu is based on tests using a $500 graphics card and low resolution . This is completely artificial . Once you start gaming with appropriately priced graphics cards , and at 1080p resolution the pentium is a dog .

    www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-3220-benchmarks,3314.html

    Here is an FX compared to the BEST intel dual core which is much better than the pentium . The FX is generally better at applications and it close enough to identical to the i3 in DX 10 and DX 11 games .
    It suffers in DX9 games because the game engines cant multithread , but those games are now older and there will not be any more of them .

    Yes they use an FX 4170 , but that is an identical piece of silicon to the 4100
    The only change needed to run at 4170 speeds is a simple BIOS change to the multiplier

    Once you factor in the AMD's support for the next two generations of processors [making upgrades possible while intels socket 1155 dies in a few months ]
    there is no reason for any gamer or general pc user to buy any intel dual core . and especially not the crippled pentium models


    Quick questions, Is the rebate at the moment of purchase or is it mail in type. In the future this Motherboard, would it be able to support the FC 8xxx series if I ever got the money to upgrade?
  29. Outlander_04 said:
    AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996&name=Processors-Desktops

    ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ $66 [including shipping and rebate ]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157319&name=AMD-Motherboards

    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) $25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&name=Desktop-Memory

    HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition $115 [ after rebate ]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

    CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 $25 [ after rebate]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&name=Power-Supplies

    Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

    COOLER MASTER Elite 430 $50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227&name=Computer-Cases

    Any dvd drive $18

    Total is $479

    Far better gamer than the pentium or athlon builds. Far far better application performance

    Add the wireless card if you want

    Windows 8 preferably as well



    Also Does the Zambesi already come with a stock cooler or do I need to buy an Aftermarket cooler w/thermal paste?
  30. The FX 4100 comes with a cooler , and the cooler is good enough to let you overclock to FX 4170 speeds and beyond

    Yes the mb supports the FX 8 core processors
    It supports the Piledriver processor update thats due for release in a few days , And it will support the Steamroller processors AMD will release in 2013 or 2014 .

    The rebates are mail in .
  31. Alright, Thanks for the info.
  32. I Know in Amazon prices in the cart don't reflect tax or shipping. Newegg at the bottom adds up the shipping. Is that the total or does tax still need to be added to that price down there?. I live in Seattle, WA if that info helps.
  33. The Amd FX-170 and AMD FX-6100 cost roughly the same with 1$ difference. Their CPU Benckmark indicates that the 6100 performs better in benchmarks. Since most video games only take up 2 cores would the 4170 be better with its higher clock rate?
  34. Best answer
    The FX 4100 is the cheapest option , and you can set it to 4170 speeds

    The 6100 wont game as well because of the lower clock speed .

    On the 23rd of this month AMD will [ probably] release new models
    43XX
    63XX
    83XX

    They are improved versions that run faster and cooler .
    If you can buy the 43XX
  35. Alright thanks for the info, Any specs on the pricing for the 43xx??
  36. There are reviews appearing today of the 8350 .
    There is one on this site


    and newegg should have them listed and the prices .
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287&Tpk=fx%204300
    The 4300 looks like being 5 - 15 % faster than the 4100 pretty much everywhere
    Its $130
    The 6300 is $140
  37. Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower. ($44.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155. ($79.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157302

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155. ($129.99)
    http: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

    GPU: XFX HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 256 bit. ($159.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617

    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 . ($41.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

    HDD: Western Digital RE3 WD7502ABYS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache. ($59.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236257&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

    PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified. ($59.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

    Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X. ($16.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244

    TOTAL : $594
  38. mrdowntownkiller said:
    Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower. ($44.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155. ($79.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157302

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155. ($129.99)
    http: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

    GPU: XFX HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 256 bit. ($159.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617

    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 . ($41.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

    HDD: Western Digital RE3 WD7502ABYS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache. ($59.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236257&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

    PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified. ($59.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

    Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X. ($16.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244

    TOTAL : $594


    LOL

    No copy of windows
    the Rosewill challenger is an awful case that won an award for being cheap
    and the i3 got kicked about by the FX 4170

    Better graphics card though
  39. Outlander_04 said:
    LOL

    No copy of windows
    the Rosewill challenger is an awful case that won an award for being cheap
    and the i3 got kicked about by the FX 4170

    Better graphics card though


    Checking prices I can get the FX 4170 for 110$ but the 4300 for 130$. Would the 4300 perform better without OC compared to the 4170 at 4.3 GHZ?
  40. I would get the 4300

    Im unsure exactly how the performance compares
  41. Outlander_04 said:
    I would get the 4300

    Im unsure exactly how the performance compares


    Yeah I can't seem to find info and I don't really want to OC even if a can so will the 4.3 GHZ 4170 beat the 4.0GHZ 4300 ? If im doing the math correct the 7% IPC increase doesn't compensate for the speed and and 20$ I think...
  42. The 4300 will beat the 4170. 300MHz will make no difference in the real world. It does use a lot less power. It's a big jump.
  43. obsama1 said:
    The 4300 will beat the 4170. 300MHz will make no difference in the real world. It does use a lot less power. It's a big jump.

    Alright, Since I managed to get a very good Pre-Order sale price on windows 8 I have more money to spend on parts:

    Here is updated build:

    Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    MOBO:ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Wifi Card:Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 (RNWD-12001) IEEE 802.11b/g/n, PCI, Wireless-N Adapter
    GPU: MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
    PSU:COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W
    Ram: G SKill 2x4gb 1600mhz
    CPU: AMD FX-4170 4.2 GHZ(4.3Ghz)
    Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner


    Total is around $630ish.

    Can that Rosewill Challanger case support 2 of these Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan? Where would I plus these other 2 fans in as my mobo only has a plug for 2 fans I think.......
  44. Apparently on newegg it says "3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)" so that means it will support the stock 3 fans that come with the case... I think. How will I get power to the other 2 fans I am buying extra?
  45. Also any reccomendations for a Less than 70$ SSD to load the SSD on ?
  46. Some help with my questions stated above please
  47. Best answer selected by speakerman9529.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product