Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 670 "LE" ? What is the difference?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 25, 2012 4:28:54 AM

So per usual of my luck I was on newegg shopping for a gtx 670 ftw edition and guess what? They are out, they do however have a "Light edition" of the card for a mere $399 dollars. It's about 40mhz slower than the original and therefore I'm not sure how much that translates performance wise? Everywhere else with shipping a full FTW card is about 440-460. Also the GTX 660ti is coming in at the same MHZ as the LE edition so how does that stack against the 670 "LE's" 256 memory bus?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (GTX 670 LE edition)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (660ti superclocked)

Why did the normal edition have to be out of stock? : /

More about : gtx 670 difference

August 25, 2012 4:49:11 AM


I'm just really set on getting an EVGA model, great reviews all around from them. I'm just trying to find out if the LE edition is worth it or not. I'm not a hardcore overclocker or anything, I just want it to be better than the 660ti which I think it would be with the bigger memory bus?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 4:53:52 AM

I'm just guessing here, but the non-LE is probably just clocked a little higher and overclocking the LE would give the same or better performance. The 670 LE is definitely a lot better than any 660 TI.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 4:55:31 AM

blazorthon said:
I'm just guessing here, but the non-LE is probably just clocked a little higher and overclocking the LE would give the same or better performance.

Yeah if you look at the numbers it's down clocked by about 45 mhz or something. I'm only keeping this option viable purely for the 256 bit memory bus and the fact that it's EVGA. Is that down clock on this version of the card really transferable at a realistic perspective? It's still going to outshine the 660ti I imagine?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 4:57:42 AM

The 670 generally will be better performance than the 660ti. I am also waiting for the 670 ftw edition as well. I noticed there were some sales on it for cheaper than usual but I missed them as well. Hopefully something comes up this week.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 5:00:34 AM

selayan said:
The 670 generally will be better performance than the 660ti. I am also waiting for the 670 ftw edition as well. I noticed there were some sales on it for cheaper than usual but I missed them as well. Hopefully something comes up this week.

Well until the 27th I believe all 600 series cards get a free copy of borderlands 2 from many websites, it's a pretty sweet deal. It's just the LE version is sort of bitter-sweet, tons of hype and when I got to Newegg's price of $409 it was out of stock. : /
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 5:02:25 AM

Tigerdirect has 670 FTW's in stock with the Borderlands bundle.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 5:04:19 AM

tivatar said:
Tigerdirect has 670 FTW's in stock with the Borderlands bundle.

They do but Newegg is offering free shipping, with shipping a standard 670 ftw is about $450, a large leap in price for a questionable amount of performance.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:07:26 AM

funyunwolf said:
They do but Newegg is offering free shipping, with shipping a standard 670 ftw is about $450, a large leap in price for a questionable amount of performance.


You could probably just get the 670 FTW LE from Newegg and overclock it without a problem.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 5:11:49 AM

blazorthon said:
You could probably just get the 670 FTW LE from Newegg and overclock it without a problem.

And you're confident I'll still enjoy the strong performance of a 670 despite it being downclocked from a standard ftw? (Though still about a reference model?) That is the only thing I am concerned about.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:13:14 AM

It's not much of an underclock and you could overclock it yourself if you want to.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:17:06 AM

Ncix has the 670 ftw for $399.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71941&promoid=1371

I don't see borderlands with it. I emailed them about that. I was going to order today but I hear they run their transactions out of canada and that could incur some extra fees.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 5:26:34 AM

selayan said:
Ncix has the 670 ftw for $399.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71941&promoid=1371

I don't see borderlands with it. I emailed them about that. I was going to order today but I hear they run their transactions out of canada and that could incur some extra fees.

Yeah the free borderlands is a big point for me, I wanted that game anyway and this way I feel like I'm getting sixty bucks off. I'm probably going to settle for the LE version primarily for the free shipping and what-not. I still don't feel like the slight underclocking is going to be that much of a difference. The whole reason you gert a 670 it seems is for the biggger memory bus. :sweat: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:38:43 AM

Yeh the core clock on the ftw is a little higher, as is the boost clock. I may go with the MSI PE edition actually. I was considering the 7950 saphire OC edition.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 5:42:20 AM

Eh I just feel a little more at peace getting an EVGA model, great customer service and all. How did you feel about the LE edition of the FTW's specs?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:46:36 AM

I've heard great things about the FTW edition. The boost clock helps and it auto clocks based on different things going on, temperature, game, other settings. The LE is a little less powerful..not sure how much you can overclock it but I'm sure you could get it up to the FTW edition.

The ftw edtion is stock at the speeds you would overclock the LE to. I want the ftw because it would fit fine in my roswill challenger whereas the 7950 OC edition is at 11 inches and I MAY need a new case.

I was considering a new case but I was having too hard of a decision to go with Haf 912 or Roswill blackhawk only the blackhawk is not on sale and the price of the HAF can't be beat.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:48:32 AM

selayan said:
I've heard great things about the FTW edition. The boost clock helps and it auto clocks based on different things going on, temperature, game, other settings. The LE is a little less powerful..not sure how much you can overclock it but I'm sure you could get it up to the FTW edition.

The ftw edtion is stock at the speeds you would overclock the LE to. I want the ftw because it would fit fine in my roswill challenger whereas the 7950 OC edition is at 11 inches and I MAY need a new case.

I was considering a new case but I was having too hard of a decision to go with Haf 912 or Roswill blackhawk only the blackhawk is not on sale and the price of the HAF can't be beat.


HAF 912 all the way IMO. I recommend a good Radeon 7950 over any current Nvidia card, but OP is determined to give EVGA a try, so that means that OP's best option is an EVGA GTX 670.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 5:49:20 AM

I managed to find a non LE version in Orlando which I only live about thirty minutes from. With tax and shipping it will be $436, I may go that route just not entirely sure yet, their customer support isn't available this late.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:51:11 AM

Yeh the Haf would work fine for me its just look like it would be a pain to route all my cables through. I may just order it, I don't really need LED's but at least one is nice.

Hell if I get a new case I may as well extend to the 7970 lol. But I was really hoping to get the ftw 670 for $399 but Amd had to drop prices. I never had an AMD card before either.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 6:20:09 AM

If you want the regular version you can probably find it on newegg. I've always seen them in stock.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 6:28:41 AM

selayan said:
If you want the regular version you can probably find it on newegg. I've always seen them in stock.

Yeah I know, literally before I went into work today it WAS in stock. But right now it's currently out of stock. : /
m
0
l
!