Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HELP: Intel Core i5-3570K//Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2012 9:38:55 PM

I'm looking for a gaming computer that is gonna last me a couple years running every game that comes out on highest settings. I only plan to GAME and do some browsing on the internet. No video rendering will be done.

These are the parts that i have put together, please let me know how everything looks. I want an SSD for my games so that they load faster... Do i just put the OS on the SSD? for the games to load faster?

- Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

- MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card

- Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Do i need an aftermarket heatsink fan WITH the CPU cooler? or will the stock heatsink with the ivybridge be ok???)
- Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

- G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Do i need more for diablo 3?)

- Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

- XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

- OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (I want all my memory to be on SSD's so that everything loads faster is that a smart move? or should i get a 1tb hdd?)

This build is ilke 1500$ its a little high for me so im looking for your help on maybe a litle bit cheaper of a build but still same speeds generally. thanks for the feedback folks!

October 19, 2012 10:38:14 PM

You could just go with the 256gb ssd for your only storage. I have a 500gb hdd I'm only using 110gb of it and that's with my os, 5 games and a lot of programs on it. As long as you don't want to put a lot of movies and music on it you'll be ok because you should try to stay under 50% capacity so the vertex 4 will be faster. If you plan on just overclocking your cpu to 4.2(no real need to go any high) just get a cooler master hyper 212 evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . You could save some money by getting a different mobo that will be almost as good for a lot less money asus p8z77-v lk http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or asrock z77 extreme4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Both of these mobo come with free ram so that will save you even more.
m
l
October 19, 2012 10:44:31 PM

Any new computer over $1000 should have an SSD as a primary hard drive. It is one of the key features that will make your computer "fast" in the common things you do. You should have a 2nd HDD for bulk storage if you have such a need.

If the concern is you have too many games to fit, if you are using steam, go lookup the instructions on mklink on how to move your games from your SSD to HDD when you're done actively playing them.

If you can't handle that kind of administrative maintenance, perhaps look into Intel SRT solution or one of the new hybrid harddrives(although price wise these don't save you money over the SSD+HDD solution).

If you need to cut your budget somehwere
Mobo: if you don't need the pro features you can get by with a cheaper mobo, even among same asus line

Cooler: You spent all this money for a k processor, you should get a cooler. If you don't want to spend as much for cooling, an 212evo is a cheaper solution. If you don't want to spend at all, that means you'd rather not overclock and you should also not get the k processor to save money there.

more on ssd choice: at least get a 128 ssd + HDD, if you can't get a deal on the 256.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2012 10:45:13 PM

Looks pretty good. There are possibly a couple of areas, where savings can be made.

In gaming terms, the Asus P8Z77-V is a good, high performance card, that loses very little, compared to the Pro version.
You need some form of aftermarket cooler, if you want to overclock CPU. The Noctua is one of the best air coolers, to give a good overclock, and goes well with such a good mobo. If you don't want to OC too agressively, a cooler like CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo is pretty good, and a lot cheaper.
The Fractal is a nice case, and known for being quiet. There are cheaper cases, and cases with better ventilation, although also noisier.
Unless you are planning to add a 2nd graphics card, in SLi, you don't need 750w PSU, 550w would be fine.
Obviously it depends how much game content, you need fast access to, but personally, I like some amount of conventional HDD, for stuff that just isn't worth putting on SSD. Your needs, of course, may be different.
m
l
October 20, 2012 10:36:26 PM

The reason im going with that V-PRO motherboard is because it comes with a program that allows you to customize you're fans. I'am not sure but i believe that the V-Pro mobo is the only asus board with that feature, but i could be really wrong. The approach for Asus is keeping all the key features making it the most user friendly company for Motherboards. That is another reason why i have chosen asus over Asrock, even though they were third in the world for 2012 in selling motherboards, Asus was number 1. Does the V model not have the fan customization?

I don't plan on overclocking all the time but for 23 dollars extra for the i5-3570k rather than no OC at all with the i5-3570 i'ts worth it to get the k version.
-what do you think?

Thanks for suggesting a 550 PSU..I will look into a good brand myself for the PSU but can i get some suggestions for long lasting good quality 550W PSU's. (ty)

And i think i will be getting a 256GB SSD and then a 500HDD for Music/Movies.

I think i will be keeping the Noctura, unless my money plans change and i dont have enough, i will get CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo. I do not plan on overclocking ALOT but more casual so i probably only need the CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo. But I like to keep my options open and for that piece of mind that its being well taken care of. I would prefer it. -thanks malbluff.

After some more feedback ill post my new computer SPEC. Thanks!
m
l
October 20, 2012 11:58:41 PM

The Asus V has the same fan software as the V Pro. The only differences, between the two, are not gaming significant. Number of USB connections, eSATA etc.
You should appreciate overclocking doesn't just cost $23. You need to also take into account the cost of aftermarket cooler, and higher spec mobo.
For 550w PSU's. XFX do a good 550w, but it's not modular. Rosewill Hive is a decent modular one. The Seasonic X series 560w is exceptionally good, but expensive.
m
l
October 22, 2012 10:47:18 PM

Ok so, after more feedback and more reviews that i've been reading this is what i have finally come up with...

-Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450 (194.99 Newegg)
-ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS (149.99 Newegg)
-EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (409.99 Newegg)
-Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3, 560W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91, 80Plus Gold Certified, Modular Power Supply (124.99 Newegg)
-OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (209.99 Newegg)
-G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-16GAB (74.99 Newegg)
-Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (119.99 Newegg.com)

and a 1tb of something. sound good? maybe too big of a graphics card.?

m
l
October 22, 2012 11:01:54 PM

Looks quite good. If you are not having an unlocked processor AND have no thought of adding a 2nd graphics card, in the future, you COULD drop to a H77 mobo. You wouldn't lose anything else.
For GTX 670, personally would prefer the Gigabyte Windrush.
Probably the best HDD is Western Digital Caviar Black. Hitachi Deskstar is a reasonable alternative. Always nice to have a 128GB SSD, for OS and main games, but of course that's "optional extra" if budget will allow.
m
l
October 22, 2012 11:03:54 PM

Sorry, just spotted RAM. You don't need 16GB, for gaming. 8GB is more than enough. If you REALLY want 16Gb, go for 2x8, rather than 4x4.
m
l
October 24, 2012 9:50:07 PM

malbluff said:
Sorry, just spotted RAM. You don't need 16GB, for gaming. 8GB is more than enough. If you REALLY want 16Gb, go for 2x8, rather than 4x4.

I was told that using 4x4 is better for power distribution to the mobo. lasts longer less complications.. smoother.. maybe more quiet.
m
l

Best solution

October 24, 2012 10:27:29 PM

With 77 boards, dual channel is better, and cheaper. You don't NEED 16GB, for gaming, or much else, for that matter. The one "common" thing, which benefits from maximum RAM, is complex photo/video editing. If you are into those things, then it may be worth getting more. In fact there can be an argument, for those applications, for more than 16GB. In those cases, it's definitely better to use 2x8 initally, so you've got spare slots, to add more.
For gaming 2x4 is best.
October 28, 2012 10:12:08 AM

Best answer selected by pgerv.
m
l
!