Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-8320 or Intel i5-3470

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2013 2:14:45 PM

Hello,

I am choosing between two ready built machines. One has AMD FX-8320 and the other has Intel i5-3470. I spent the whole of yesterday looking at the pros and cons of both CPUs and still haven't decided which to purchase. I understand that the FX leads to higher power consumption and understand that I wouldn't need to buy another motherboard should I want to upgrade if I bought the FX, but I find it hard to decide.The benchmarks for the FX and i5 show that the i5 is better in some capacities and the FX in others.

The FX machine that I would purchase would have 16GB memory, but the i5 would have 8 GB memory. I am not particular about graphics.

I do not use my computer for gaming, or very little, but there are times when I can have 20 browsers open on the internet, 10 word documents, 5 Excel and 3 Access. I also send emails, stream video and listen to the radio. I also do not want to overclock.

I understand that the FX (in reality) doesn't have 8 cores and that this is 4 modules and that the i5 is 22 nm and FX is 32 nm, which is basically why the FX uses more power.

I also want something that will be quiet, which steers me to the i5-3470.

I am only choosing between FX-8320 and i5-3470.

Taking the above into consideration, which should I buy?

Thanks

More about : amd 8320 intel 3470

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 3:41:36 PM

I'd go for the i5.
The FX is a roller-coaster - sometimes tops, sometimes flops; and in case you're not into heavy threaded tasks /like video encoding fe, virtualisation, etc.../ you'll be better off with i5.
a c 86 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 3, 2013 3:48:03 PM

Well... you don't seem to really be doing anything that'll stress the CPU much. So I'd go for the cheaper option, or if they cost the same then the more power-efficient option, the Core i5.

You might consider a cheaper processor though. A Core i3 for example.

Edit: As for the number of course, the FX-8320 does have 8 cores... sorta. It depends on the workload.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 3:50:08 PM

What is your current set up btw. Might even be able to save money by purchasing an FX-6300.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 3:59:12 PM

Looking at your usage you wouldn't make full use of either unit.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 4:05:45 PM

I agree with many of the others in that either way is probably overkill. Have you thought about an i3, 8GB and an SSD so that it boots and launches things incredibly quickly?
March 3, 2013 4:08:01 PM

random stalker said:
I'd go for the i5.
The FX is a roller-coaster - sometimes tops, sometimes flops; and in case you're not into heavy threaded tasks /like video encoding fe, virtualisation, etc.../ you'll be better off with i5.

Thanks for your replies - most appreciated.

I think I'll go with the i5. The specs of the FX and i5 are below and I've also included the i7 which is more expensive. Like I said I won't be using the PC for gaming, but need it to be quick when I am multitasking between internet and numerous Microsoft Office documents. I already have Windows 7. I really don't think I need to go with the i7, but wondered what you thought. All comments appreciated. Thanks. Specs of all three below. I am purchasing from: https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+and+Office/Next+Day...

Gladiator Intel i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core Next Day Desktop PC £526.79 inc. VAT

Specifications:

• ARIAnet Gladiator Black Micro-ATX Case w/ 500W Power Supply
• 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ (Ivy Bridge) i7-3770 3.40GHz Quad-Core Processor w/ Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
• 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 (4x4096) Memory (32GB Max)
• DVD +/- RW Drive w/ m-Disk Support
• 2TB (7200rpm) SATA 6GB/s (SATA III) Hard Drive
• Graphics: Intel HD 4000 Graphics - IGP Supports DirectX 11
• GIGABYTE™ Intel B75 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard w/ SATA 6G & USB 3.0
• Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio

Technical Details:

Dimensions:
• Height: 350mm
• Width: 180mm
• Depth: 410mm

Interfaces:
• 1x SATA 6G Port
• 5x SATA 3G Ports
• 1x PS/2 Keyboard Port
• 1x PS/2 Mouse Port
• 1x D-Sub / VGA Port
• 1x DVI-D Port
• 1x HDMI Port
• 2x USB 3.0 Ports
• 4x USB 2.0 Ports
• 1x RJ-45 LAN Port (10/100/1000)
• 3x Audio Jacks

Expansion:
• 1x PCI-e x16 GEN 3.0 Slot
• 1x PCI-e x16 GEN 2.0 Slot
• 2x PCI Slots

Also included with your system:

• Resource DVD(s) (Diagnostic & Drivers)
• 2 Meter Power Cord - UK
• Standard Warranty 1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC

Gladiator AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Next Day Desktop PC £440.39 inc. VAT

Specifications:

• ARIAnet Syphon Black Midi Tower Case w/ 500W Power Supply
• AMD FX-8320 3.50GHz (4.00GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 8-Core Processor
• 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 (4x4096) Memory (32GB Max)
• Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6450 2048MB GDDR3 Graphics - Supports DirectX 11
• GIGABYTE™ AMD 970A Socket AM3+ DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard w/ SATA 6G & USB 3.0

Technical Details:

Dimensions:
• Height: 410mm
• Width: 183mm
• Depth: 425mm

Interfaces:
• 6x SATA 6G Ports
• 1x PS/2 Keyboard Port
• 1x PS/2 Mouse Port
• 1x D-Sub / VGA Port
• 1x DVI-D Port
• 1x HDMI Port
• 2x USB 3.0 Ports
• 6x USB 2.0 Ports
• 3x Audio Jacks

Expansion:
• 2x PCI-e x16 GEN 2.0 Slots
• 3x PCI-e x1 Slots
• 2x PCI Slots

• Standard Warranty 1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC

Gladiator Intel i5-3470 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core Next Day Desktop PC
£386.39 inc. VAT

Description:

Ready to ship next day.

Specifications:

• ARIAnet Gladiator Black Micro-ATX Case w/ 500W Power Supply
• 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ (Ivy Bridge) i5-3470 3.20GHz Quad-Core Processor
• 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 (2x4096) Memory (32GB Max)
• Graphics: Intel HD 2500 Graphics - IGP Supports DirectX 11
• GIGABYTE™ Intel B75 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard w/ SATA 6G & USB 3.0

Technical Details:

Dimensions:
• Height: 350mm
• Width: 180mm
• Depth: 410mm

Interfaces:
• 1x SATA 6G Port
• 5x SATA 3G Ports
• 1x PS/2 Keyboard Port
• 1x PS/2 Mouse Port
• 1x D-Sub / VGA Port
• 1x DVI-D Port
• 1x HDMI Port
• 2x USB 3.0 Ports
• 4x USB 2.0 Ports
• 3x Audio Jacks

Expansion:
• 1x PCI-e x16 GEN 3.0 Slot
• 1x PCI-e x16 GEN 2.0 Slot
• 2x PCI Slots

March 3, 2013 4:12:31 PM

Traciatim said:
I agree with many of the others in that either way is probably overkill. Have you thought about an i3, 8GB and an SSD so that it boots and launches things incredibly quickly?

I'll have a look at i3, 8GB and SSD as you suggest.

With regard to my current system - let's just say its' very old and is tired and a bit warn out - it's time to start afresh.
March 3, 2013 4:21:10 PM

I'd like to point out that, in real world bills on electricity, the 'efficiency' issue is dismisable.

Testings done in other site tells that, under load for 3 hours a day (average, maybe some days more, some days less), in a lapse of 1 entire year, the FX spends about 15 bucks more (I dont remember what was the price per watt they use, but I'd assume they used the US average). FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR. Considering that the FX is already cheaper, I'd say that argument is irrelevant.

And considering that the AMD option is much more flexible (more cores if you need them, can disable cores if you want better per-core performance, etc) and that future software is going to be written with multicore in mind, I'd say it's the best option you have. ALTHOUGH, I'd build the system myself if I were you. Most of those prebuild systems have a few weakspots. Example, amazing CPU, great power supply, crappy quality hard drive, you get the idea. Building for yourself is not that expensive either.

Good luck with your purchase!
March 3, 2013 4:27:17 PM

azraa said:
I'd like to point out that, in real world bills on electricity, the 'efficiency' issue is dismisable.

Testings done in other site tells that, under load for 3 hours a day (average, maybe some days more, some days less), in a lapse of 1 entire year, the FX spends about 15 bucks more (I dont remember what was the price per watt they use, but I'd assume they used the US average). FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR. Considering that the FX is already cheaper, I'd say that argument is irrelevant.

And considering that the AMD option is much more flexible (more cores if you need them, can disable cores if you want better per-core performance, etc) and that future software is going to be written with multicore in mind, I'd say it's the best option you have. ALTHOUGH, I'd build the system myself if I were you. Most of those prebuild systems have a few weakspots. Example, amazing CPU, great power supply, crappy quality hard drive, you get the idea. Building for yourself is not that expensive either.

Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks

My son could build it for me and I understand what you mean about pre-builds.

I'll take everything has said onboard - thanks for all your help.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 4:35:03 PM

just pick the one that comes out the cheapest in toal costs because sometimes the amd beats the intel and sometimes the intel beats the amd
a c 86 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 3, 2013 4:48:09 PM

azraa said:
I'd like to point out that, in real world bills on electricity, the 'efficiency' issue is dismisable

No, because more power usage means more heat generation, which requires more cooling. That's going to mean more noise with a comparable cooler.
March 12, 2013 7:38:02 AM

I lean to the i5. But if you can save money on the AMD machine, go with that. There is no need for your usage for any more than 4 GB of RAM. So at 8 you are definitely covered 2X over. The i5 will likely be a cooler running machine. You could even be better off with a dual core machine using an i3 CPU. Many of the i3s have 2 cores but handle 4 threads which simulates 4 cores processing - wise. AMD CPUs don't have that feature, they just add cores = 1 thread per core. CPUs don't make noise so if 1 machine is quieter than another it's due to the cooling fans. An i3 with 4 GB RAM and a SSD would be your best solution. Hard drives are the main source of speed or slow these days in computers. Using a SSD will give you fast boot times and quick responsiveness to your programs.
March 14, 2013 5:36:37 AM

Hi All

After much deliberation I have chosen the AMD FX-8320. I would like to thank you all for your comments and help.

Thanks Delia
!