Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card usage.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2012 6:41:57 AM

Hey all, so last thread i had up was about coil whine, this time its GPU usage, let me explain.
The other day playing world of tanks i beleive i was at 99% usage all the time i was in a game, then a while ago i heard a loud pop that i thought was my card so i opened up the case to find everything was fine, no differences that i could see at all. But now world of tanks never hits 99% usage, and im seeing alot more frame rate drops, i usualy run just over 30 FPS "low but the best i can get" and now im dropping below that more often, diablo 3 still plays the same maxed out 99% usage almost all the time, im not sure what happend, but if i choose to change my power management mode to "prefer max performance" obviously i know itl cost more in power, but would it bring my GPU to max usage all the time? thus giving me better performance?, if it does this is there a way to set it to certain games, such as world of tanks instead of having it up all the time?.

More about : graphics card usage

August 25, 2012 6:57:52 AM

Ok, so i cant edit my own post, but i turned off Vsync, and now im getting better FPS with the GPU usage at its normal 99% again, only issue will be the card might run up at 70 deg C.
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 7:00:36 AM

If I had to guess, no, it won't help, but we won't know for sure until you check it. Also, you should be able to edit your post.
Related resources
August 25, 2012 7:01:57 AM

blazorthon said:
If I had to guess, no, it won't help, but we won't know for sure until you check it. Also, you should be able to edit your post.

When i try to edit my post i get it complete, then hit post it then says "you cannot edit your post" not sure why, but i know vsync off works well, ill give the power mode a try as ive figured out how to give world of tanks a profile of its own in Nvidia control panel.
August 25, 2012 9:06:31 AM

One other thing, my GPU
"MSI Geforce GTX 550 TI cyclone II OC"
Is it normal that in some games "E.G Diablo 3" that when i get into a big fight with lots of DPS going out and lots of bits flying around, that i hit low 12 FPS "usualy the lowest ill hit"

My entire setup is,
AMD athlon x2 II dual core proc 3.2 GHZ
MSI Geforce GTX 550 TI cyclone II OC
Powerstation 500 W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit
Max resolution: 1360x768

I saw a few reviews that said this card would run amazingly on crysis on 1600xSomthing maxed out, but i see FPS drops in World of tanks, and in big fights on diablo 3, silent hunter 5 runs without any lag, it just shrugs it off with 200 FPS. It only seems to be MP games that my PC struggles with.
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 2:40:16 PM

Your problem is your CPU. It is too slow.
August 25, 2012 2:49:54 PM

blazorthon said:
Your problem is your CPU. It is too slow.

Can you explain more into that please?, i thought a 3.2 GHZ was quite a good CPU, although i didnt buy it my self it came on the motherboard. Explain what should be changed and ill see what i can do.
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 7:18:32 PM

Dreadbeard said:
Can you explain more into that please?, i thought a 3.2 GHZ was quite a good CPU, although i didnt buy it my self it came on the motherboard. Explain what should be changed and ill see what i can do.

GHz is simply one specifications. When performance per GHz and core count are as low as your CPU, having a high frequency such as 3.2GHz doesn't do any good. For example, a Pentium D at 3GHz is far inferior to a Celeron G440 (Sandy Bridge) at 1.6GHz despite thje Celeron having about half the frequency and half the cores. The Athlon II x2s don't have enough cores nor cache for decent gaming these days. A Phenom II x4 would be far better.
!