Two PSUs Burned Out in One Week

aitrean

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hello all,

In the last week I have had two power supplies burn out on me. The first one was a Topower TOP-650PM which I purchased in August. I assumed that because the PSU was not good quality to begin with that this was normal. So I plugged in my Ultra V Series ULT-350P and it lasted for only a week before it also burned out. I'm not sure how to solve the issue of my computer murdering power supply units, and would appreciate any advice that could be lent.

Some more background: Each time I plugged one of the power supplies in, they made an electric buzzing noise that increased in sound when more RAM was being used. The first power supply did this for about two months, but it eventually stopped making noise until it burned out four months later. The second power supply made the same noise, and I thought nothing of it since the last one did the same thing. However, after only a week, and no change to the sound, the first power supply unit burned out.

Other Computer Specs:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU
ASRock Conroe 1333-D667 Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 240 Video Card
3GB of RAM
One hard drive

Solution
Chances are, you just had a psu that was bad qual (toppower) and then the other was just on its last leg. I assume you have your system plugged in to a power strip to regulate input and avoid extreme current variation?
I would try an antec basic or a corsair lower watt like 400w or so and hope for the best.
If you continue to have problems, I would just consider a new build. Prob a problem with your board. Your pc is on the verge of being a bit outdated anyway.

aitrean

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

I've used the same outlet for my computer for eight years. So I don't think it's an issue with power surges.

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Chances are, you just had a psu that was bad qual (toppower) and then the other was just on its last leg. I assume you have your system plugged in to a power strip to regulate input and avoid extreme current variation?
I would try an antec basic or a corsair lower watt like 400w or so and hope for the best.
If you continue to have problems, I would just consider a new build. Prob a problem with your board. Your pc is on the verge of being a bit outdated anyway.

Solution

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I think he didn't meant power surges - it could be that during the time some contacts became a little bit loose - a small problem which can cause a lot of trouble.

Did your PC restarted from time to time without any warning? Or can you plug something in that outlet and tap it to see if it is firmly seated or moves around?

aitrean

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

No, my computer power otherwise ran smoothly. The only indicator that this would happen was the electronic buzzing that came from the PSU.

aitrean

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi guys, I'm finally responding to this thread now because I've been running my computer without any burnouts or electronic noise for over a week now. I replaced my power supply with a Corsair 750 and everything runs smoothly. Moreover, I also installed a UPS just in case. Thanks to everyone who responded because honestly I am awful at choosing good power supply units for my computer.

you id the best thing you could do and it works :D have fun with your pc