Video Card and Power Supply questions.

Hello,

I purchased a new video card without knowing that I would need a better power supply to support it and without realizing that the card may not even fit inside my computer case. On the box there is a written requirement: "450 watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 24 amps on the +12 volt rail." My current power supply is 300 watts so I need to buy a new one, but advertising does not list amperage on the +12 volt rail, it only lists wattage. Can I expect to get the necessary amperage if I buy the necessary wattage? Also, How can I know if the video card and power supply will even fit inside my computer case?

Here are my systems dimensions:
Height 12.6"
Width 7.1"
Depth 15.8"

Model Number: DX4860

I have not opened the box for my new video card yet. I could just open it and see if it fits but I would like to know if I can get this information without doing that first. It is an EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 ti, Product Number: 02G-P4-3660-KR

Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about video card power supply questions
  1. Okay, I did some looking around and finally found some images of the interior on newegg. Assuming all DX4860 models use the same chassis, you should be just fine to install a new PSU and video card. The PSU looks to be a standard ATX form factor, and it looks there's actually a ton of clearance for the GPU length, which surprised me.

You are good to go. :)
  2. A good quality 450w PSU would have a maximum of 37.5 amps, so yes.

If you want re-assurance, you can just tell us which PSU you're gonna buy.
  3. The spec sheet of the PSU should say the amperage of the various rails.

For instance, on this XFX supply.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550W
    The amperage's are listed as.
    +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V@44A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.5A
    So 44amps on the 12v rail.

You can also figure out how many Watts that is.
    Voltage x Current (amps) = Power (Watts), so 12v x 44a = 528W on the 12v rail.
  4. Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated, I should be good to go now.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Power Supplies Graphics Cards Systems Product