Corsaire HX650 PSU???

berts

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I recently purchased an Radeon 5850 to upgrade my Dell Studio 540.

I obviously had to upgrade the 350W PSU so I bought a Corsair HX650.

I have plumbed it all in and the computer would not POST, all the fans ran flat out and the light by the on/off button went amber instead of white. Also, although I could turn the computer on by the button, I cannot turn it off. Not even for a forced shut down.

So I stripped everything out, put the old supply back in and computer works fine!!

So what the deal with this new PSU?? Why wont it work??

Thanks for any help

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Check all the pins on the Corsair power supply make sure none are pushed back, did you have the 4/8 pin connector for the cpu secure to the motherboard? Also did you have both PCIe connectors hooked to the new video card there are most likely 2/6 pin connectors.

berts

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Yes I had checked all the connections , I didn't see any problems and the setup is as you said 2 x 6pins for the GPU card, and only 1 x 4 pin for the CPU.

No here the weird thing. I stripped out a 750w PSU from a gaming machine and swapped to two over. Both booted and seemed to be working fine.

Then I started getting RAM errors, so took 2 x 2Gb sticks out, RAM error gone. But now the machine is back to no POST and just revving the tits out of the fans??!!??

What could it be? I'm at my wits end now

Thanks for your reply Knightdog56

berts

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Update, computer is doing some strange things. Sometimes revs fans really hard on startup ---no post. Other times, quick rev and then the bleeding thing POST's !!

Wall voltage is 230v, its not on its own, but can be, what are your thoughts?

berts

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Well it has decided to POST again!

I have just reset the CMOS although it didn't post straight after. I had actually got the hump and left it wirring for a minute, then it just POST!!!

I will keep trying! I still cant get it to accept more than 2 sticks of RAM either.

Very strange computer.

BIOS is all reset to default settings.

Thanks

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Check the ram slots for burnt spots, also if you have thermal compound I would remove fan and heatsink from cpu and remove cpu from socket, check socket for damage, clean cpu heatspreader with isopropyl alcohol (the highest grade you can find locally) also clean heatsink the same way, reapply thermal compound to cpu, about the size of a grain of rice. Make sure fins on heatsink are clear of dust and reinstall heatsink and fan. Also try and run memtest86 to test memory.