Will my Hd5870 output 3D to a plasma tv?

Chariot Of Mars

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hello,

I'm a bit confused and need some advise please. I dont know if my PC can output 3d to my TV or not?

I have this system:-

i7 920 (@3.6Ghz)

Rampage Extreme II motherboard

6Gb of Ram (not sure what type)

Sapphire HD5870 x2 (in crossifre)

A 27inch monitor (connected via DVI cable)

and a 50inch plasma tv (connected via cheap no name brand HDMI cable I got for about £7.00, 3 years ago)

I normally use a monitor to watch shows and play games but I just got a tx-P50ST50, it is a 50inch Panasonic Plasma tv.

Link for some specs is here:- http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p50st50_TV_specs

I had to send off for the the active 3d glasses so have not been able to test the 3d yet.

Anyway, all of my input for the TV comes from an HDMI cable from my PC. The 2D (the main reason I got it) is amazing. But there are 3 films I would like to watch in 3D and also a 3D documentary about plants.

When I get my active lenses 3D glasses I have two options I think:-

1) I can play a standard 2D movie or show and press the 3D button and the TV itself will make it look a bit 3D. I doubt I will use this option much if at all.

2) I can buy a blu-ray player for my PC, put a film in (lets say Avatar as everyone uses it to test their new tv out) and then what would happen?

Would the graphics card know it was a 3D blu-ray and then send out the correct signal? Or do I have to tell it that its an active 3D glasses tv rather then passive?

Or will the HD5870 simply not be able to do it?

If not then what is the best graphics card from under £450 that is awesome for gaming, will work for the 3D movies on my TV and has 3Gb of on-board memory? (I play ARMA II a lot and need as much memory for texture as possible) Also the card would have to be quicker then my 5870x2 set up.

Not sure if you need this info but I do not use the HDMI cable for sound (i have a separate sound card) and I do not wish to play games in 3D.

Any info and suggestions are welcome. Assume I know very little.

thank you for reading.

Chariot Of Mars

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Ok, I read on the AMD ATI RADEON official website this "3D stereoscopic display/glasses support", but then on another forum thread someone said the card does not support HDMI 1.4, only 1.3 so cant do 3D? I'm utterly confused and don't want to buy a Blu-ray player for my PC only to find out it wont do 3D so then had to spend more for a stand alone Blu-ray player..

Chariot Of Mars

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I got a couple of 3D blu ray ISO's running ok but the software used to do this messed with output settings to the TV and did not change them back after viewing 3D content. Had to create another thread to get help changing the output for my PC to the TV back to 60Hz instead of the 24Hz it had defaulted to.