Sign in with
Your question

Cpu cooling options

Last response: in Components
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 4:20:31 PM

hey all! i was starting to research good ways of cooling my cpu, i currently have a core i5-3570k with a cooler master hyper 212+ and am looking to possibly water cool. my question is: if i don't want to spend a ton, and i want ease of installation (i do) is a nicer air cooler good, or should i invest in something like a swiftech h220? i was thinking of the thermalright silver arrow extreme sb-e but wondered if theres something better or just as good for less. thoughts welcome!

More about : cpu cooling options

March 4, 2013 9:15:09 AM

well if you want to go watercooling, the swiftech is a nice choice. allow for expandability to support a GPU block. otherwise, the silver arrow is a good choice for air cooling. they are pretty much spot on choices as far as i can see
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
March 4, 2013 9:20:26 AM

If you have a 212+ are you finding your overclock limited by it? Is spending alot more cash going to get you more than 100MHz max? Note I am not saying you won't but you may not so consider it before you spent money for little to no benefit.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 4, 2013 9:30:17 AM

i would tend to agree simon, i wouldn't go for a better air cooler myself. but the AIO he has mentioned has great possibilities for GPU cooling in addition. If i didn't already have a h100i (purchased less than 3 months ago) I would have been getting one of those myself.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2013 5:20:54 PM

simon12 said:
If you have a 212+ are you finding your overclock limited by it? Is spending alot more cash going to get you more than 100MHz max? Note I am not saying you won't but you may not so consider it before you spent money for little to no benefit.

totally know what your saying, i'm currently at a 4.0 ghz overclock and would like to push it to 4.5 if at all possible. but really my biggest thing is noise level and overall better temps while gaming. from what i've seen and heard for that water cooling ticks both of those boxes right? also, is the h100i decent enough as compared to spending $40 more for h110i or h220?
m
l
March 4, 2013 5:46:59 PM

watercooled does not mean quiet at all. you still have fans to think of, plus the added noise of a pump. whilst the h100i is decent enough, note that the h110i is better, but bigger and will not fit in most cases. the h220 offers the ability to add a watercooler to your gpu for the future, which will mean a quieter system overall (unless your gpu runs near silent at current). if you really want to go AIO, i suggest the h220 because of the option to add a GPU cooler later, but if that's not something you're interested in, go with the h100i. just make sure you have 2 x120 slots next to each other for the radiator.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2013 8:14:34 PM

phate1337 said:
watercooled does not mean quiet at all. you still have fans to think of, plus the added noise of a pump. whilst the h100i is decent enough, note that the h110i is better, but bigger and will not fit in most cases. the h220 offers the ability to add a watercooler to your gpu for the future, which will mean a quieter system overall (unless your gpu runs near silent at current). if you really want to go AIO, i suggest the h220 because of the option to add a GPU cooler later, but if that's not something you're interested in, go with the h100i. just make sure you have 2 x120 slots next to each other for the radiator.

yeah i may buy some noctua's to replace stock fans. also i'm going to be using an nzxt switch 810 case so i think it should fit fine. yeah that h220 seems pretty awsome, just the price bump that sucks. although the reviews i've seen show it being quiet while performing close to the kraken x60.
m
l
!