Sign in with
Your question

Intel core i5 3210m 100%load problem

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2013 4:33:27 PM

my cpu automatically goes 100% load even when almost nothing is running. it already gave me 1 bsod when i left my laptop downloading something. its been already a week and i noticed just now that when i turn on windows task manage, the problem disappers but when i exit task manager, it automatically goes 100% again. i am using core temp to monitor my cpu. i can't find the problem in the task manager because it disappears the moment i turn on task manager. please help because this problem is sure a big pain!!

More about : intel core 3210m 100 load problem

a c 394 à CPUs
March 4, 2013 2:07:32 AM

The first thing I'd do is run a 'full' virus scan with your virus pgm, and then a malware scan by MalwareBytes.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
m
l
March 4, 2013 1:11:35 PM

Used quick scan of windows essential and malwarebytes and full scan of AVG, found some virus and adwares and deleted all of them but the problem still persists.
m
l
a c 394 à CPUs
March 5, 2013 2:02:26 AM

It "some viruses" were found and removed, I would guess the machine has been infected too late for the virus removal to do any good. What are you using to determine the CPU is at 100% load when it is suppose to be idle? See what happens when you boot to Safe Mode and let it idle for awhile. If that happens in Safe Mode, it would be a giveaway that the machine is infected. It may be in the boot sector.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
March 5, 2013 5:08:02 AM

I agree with clutch it is probably a virus. At this point I would re-install Windows.
m
l
March 5, 2013 10:31:38 AM

i am using core temp to check the cores. coretemp wont run in safe mode so it is harder to check. by obersavation, in safe mode, it is not heating as fast as in the normal so i could say that the core is not in full stress but when i turn on the task manager, there is a small spike of about 16% in core usage then it quickly goes down to 0 so its hard to say if the problem persists or not.

i am planning to reformat this pc next week so im trying my best to solve it right now
m
l
a c 394 à CPUs
March 5, 2013 4:42:33 PM

If the cores were all running at 100% in safe mode, task manager/performance would show it. When you are in windows normally, go to task manager/processes and click on 'show processes from all users'. Sort them by CPU highest usage to lowest usage and see what is running at or near 100%.
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:18:42 PM

i used task manager to monitor the cores in safe mode.... the problem is, the "virus or program" wont show up in task manager under normal settings thus the need for coretemp to know the status of the cores
m
l
a c 394 à CPUs
March 6, 2013 2:32:34 PM

chronomike said:
i used task manager to monitor the cores in safe mode.... the problem is, the "virus or program" wont show up in task manager under normal settings thus the need for coretemp to know the status of the cores

That is why I said to boot to Windows normally and run Task Manager/Processes and sort the CPU tab in high use to low use. Then click on "show processes from all users" at the bottom of the screen. At idle, the top item in the list should be "System Idle Process" and it should be at 98 - 99% if there is nothing running.
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:38:08 PM

ya, did that, thats what it shows, system idle 97-99 both in safe and normal... thats why i cant detect the program that overloading the core, otherwise it would be easier
m
l
a c 394 à CPUs
March 6, 2013 3:01:02 PM

Alright. Now, while you have the TM window open, run Core Temp and see what it shows
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:58:27 PM

coretemp wont work in safemode >((

cpuid hwmonitor, another core monitoring device can't monitor the cores under safemode.... so its hard to get accurate data
m
l
a c 394 à CPUs
March 7, 2013 4:40:46 PM

I have been trying to get you to do this in normal mode, not safe mode.
m
l
March 7, 2013 8:30:50 PM

i already posted what happens n normal mode, without task manager, core load 100%, core temp rises up, fan starts getting noisy, w/ task manager, is stabilized and you can't see the program overloading the core which is very annoying!!
m
l
a c 394 à CPUs
March 7, 2013 8:45:15 PM

That's what I was trying to verify. Core Temp reports high temps. But run TM and temps drop and CPU activity looks normal. Correct? That is a typical sign of virus hiding itself. If a Windows Virus pgm/malware pgm couldn't eradicate it, the virus may be in the boot sector.
Virus removal is not my strong suit. But I would Google "boot sector virus removal windows 7" and see what is available to check for and remove it.
m
l
March 8, 2013 1:27:13 AM

ok, ill try to research on that, thanks for the tip. please update me if you find anything :) )
m
l
a c 394 à CPUs
March 8, 2013 2:17:28 AM

You might also want to try your virus program's forum. They would have come across your problem if it is truly a virus.
m
l
!