Sign in with
Your question

Huge Problem

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2012 3:54:08 AM

So, first of all, I would like to say thanks to everyone in the community willing to help me.

Second, a general explanation of my problem. I have a homebuilt computer that does not boot. No video, no beeps, nothing, but its more complicated then that. I have done an extensive amount of trouble shooting and I need a new prospective.

My Specs:
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 CPU
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Mobo
G.Skill Ares 2x4 (1600 MHZ) RAM
OCZ Vertex 4
Antec Three Hundred
Raidmax 530W modular
MSI GTX 660 GPU

Weird Symptoms:
Computer seams to start then stop when left on for a little while, still no response on monitor. CPU fan stutters when plugged into CPU fan header, not when in a regular fan header

What I know:
The motherboard is compatible with the CPU according to Gigabyte and Newegg reviews
The video is plugged into the card and not the board, this should be fine

What I have tried:
Swap in an identical motherboard, same problem (yes, same exact model)
Swap in a 650W Antec Earthwatts I know works (same result)
Swap in a GT 520 I know that works (same result)
Swap in a different set of RAM (corsair, 1600MHZ) and swap both sets in different combinations
Reseat CPU heatsink
2 Different power cables

Please somebody help me out, I'm tired of all this, open to suggestions! Thanks very much for your help.

More about : huge problem

a c 87 B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:01:16 AM

You have both the 4pin CPU power connector and the 24pin motherboard connector plugged in?

Also; Raidmax PSUs are crap. Even if that isn't the cause of the current problem I'd replace it soon.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:02:23 AM

No idea, complete guess here.

Try booting from your motherboard display port
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:04:44 AM

if your board is the wrong version it won't have the BIOS to support the xeon processor.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:11:52 AM

sounds like a fun one. Did the computer ever work? or is this a new build?

1) I don't mean to sound insulting, but check every last cable in a well lit environment to make sure that nothing is lose or damaged. I can't tell you how many times I have run into a lose power connector, or a little thermal paste under the CPU, or a mobo mounting post that is touching the back of the mobo instead of lining up with a screw hole, or some other stupidly inane thing that is just a simple fix that causes weird issues.

2) breadboard: 1 stick of ram, 1 GPU that you know works in a different computer (preferably one that does not require any form of power), CPU, no drives, or extras. Just see if the thing will POST, display video, and let you into UEFI. Once you get that far you can start adding other parts.

3) Parallel Build: Swap parts between it an a known good machine and see if that makes the culprate stand out, or at the very least pin down what parts you know are good. You never know, you may be the one person on earth that has ever gotten a bad Xeon out of the box.

4) Check your BIOS/UEFI revision, it may be that Xeon CPUs only work after an update, and you may need to throw in a sandy or ivy CPU to update things to get the new CPU to work

If I think of something else I'll let you know, but as of now I am thinking CPU... which is weird, but surely happens every once in a while.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:16:22 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
You have both the 4pin CPU power connector and the 24pin motherboard connector plugged in?

Also; Raidmax PSUs are crap. Even if that isn't the cause of the current problem I'd replace it soon.

Yah, I know they are crap, I've had one create sparks before. But yes, everything is plugged in.

I tried booting from the mobo display port, same thing. I used this monitor (Apple Cinema Display 1920x1200) literally minutes before plugging it in.

I don't see anything that would indicate the lack of BIO's update being the issue, but I have a Biostar Z77 board I shall try the setup in as well.

Thanks you three!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:18:01 AM

Kiowa789 said:
No idea, complete guess here.

Try booting from your motherboard display port

Xeons do not have onboard video, and the ports on the mobo are just pass through ports to the igp, so it will not do anything. He must use a dedicated GPU

That said; most (all?) nVidia GPUs have a quick dos style post stating the model and version in the upper left corner. If you have a cheap monitor it may not be able to turn on fast enough to display it though.

5) reset the BIOS/UEFI and make sure the jumper is in the right position.

6) as 'someone once said' Raidmax PSUs are aweful. Look at seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, some well rated and reviewed OCZ models, Corsair, and some Antec PSUs. Remember; cheap PSUs are a liability. They will only go out when you are doing something improtant, and they are much more likely to take other parts out with them when they go, which makes for very difficult troubbleshooting, as well as expensive repairs.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:19:53 AM

CaedenV said:
sounds like a fun one. Did the computer ever work? or is this a new build?

1) I don't mean to sound insulting, but check every last cable in a well lit environment to make sure that nothing is lose or damaged. I can't tell you how many times I have run into a lose power connector, or a little thermal paste under the CPU, or a mobo mounting post that is touching the back of the mobo instead of lining up with a screw hole, or some other stupidly inane thing that is just a simple fix that causes weird issues.

2) breadboard: 1 stick of ram, 1 GPU that you know works in a different computer (preferably one that does not require any form of power), CPU, no drives, or extras. Just see if the thing will POST, display video, and let you into UEFI. Once you get that far you can start adding other parts.

3) Parallel Build: Swap parts between it an a known good machine and see if that makes the culprate stand out, or at the very least pin down what parts you know are good. You never know, you may be the one person on earth that has ever gotten a bad Xeon out of the box.

4) Check your BIOS/UEFI revision, it may be that Xeon CPUs only work after an update, and you may need to throw in a sandy or ivy CPU to update things to get the new CPU to work

If I think of something else I'll let you know, but as of now I am thinking CPU... which is weird, but surely happens every once in a while.

Yah, don't worry, I'm not insulted, I understand these things need to be said. This is my 12th build in the last year ( I have been selling them) and the first time I have run into this kind of trouble. Multiple bread boards are going to be setup, first with the giga, then the Biostar (spare). I have no way to check the BIOS because it does not post, or display anything at all.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:21:25 AM

icracked said:
I tried booting from the mobo display port, same thing. I used this monitor (Apple Cinema Display 1920x1200) literally minutes before plugging it in.

apple cinema displays are INSANELY picky about input. The computer must be displaying exactly 1920x1200 for the monitor to get out of sleep mode (it will only do non-native resolutions after it turns on at native), and must (for some God forsaken reason) have 59Hz, and will not do 60Hz to save a life. I use one and work, and I use one at home on PCs. They are great once they work, but they can be a pain when doing a setup, so I highly suggest using a different monitor until you get things up and running.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:21:33 AM

A dead Xeon chip is the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: An incorrect CPU support list on the Gigabyte website is the other option.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:21:52 AM

CaedenV said:
Xeons do not have onboard video, and the ports on the mobo are just pass through ports to the igp, so it will not do anything. He must use a dedicated GPU

That said; most (all?) nVidia GPUs have a quick dos style post stating the model and version in the upper left corner. If you have a cheap monitor it may not be able to turn on fast enough to display it though.

5) reset the BIOS/UEFI and make sure the jumper is in the right position.

6) as 'someone once said' Raidmax PSUs are aweful. Look at seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, some well rated and reviewed OCZ models, Corsair, and some Antec PSUs. Remember; cheap PSUs are a liability. They will only go out when you are doing something improtant, and they are much more likely to take other parts out with them when they go, which makes for very difficult troubbleshooting, as well as expensive repairs.

Normally I build with Antec, PC P&C, or Corsair, but this one had good reviews and was needed to stay on budget. Like I said, the Antec has taken its place and yielded the same results, and the Antec is a nice(r) one.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:25:24 AM

If you're talking about newegg reviews, most of them are uninformed and ignorant (same thing really). People do things like give it 5 eggs because "it looks good".
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:30:12 AM

CaedenV said:
apple cinema displays are INSANELY picky about input. The computer must be displaying exactly 1920x1200 for the monitor to get out of sleep mode (it will only do non-native resolutions after it turns on at native), and must (for some God forsaken reason) have 59Hz, and will not do 60Hz to save a life. I use one and work, and I use one at home on PCs. They are great once they work, but they can be a pain when doing a setup, so I highly suggest using a different monitor until you get things up and running.

I'm a sucker for 1920x1200 Matte haha

Tried on an IBM VGA monitor, 1650x1000 or something like that, very old, but hasn't died. Same result. I'm going to bread board.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:34:25 AM

before a 3rd person repeats what I said above................. what version of the motherboard do you have............. and does that version support that processor ? ( correct BIOS ) ??
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:42:43 AM

swifty_morgan said:
before a 3rd person repeats what I said above................. what version of the motherboard do you have............. and does that version support that processor ? ( correct BIOS ) ??

GA-Z77-D3H is the model, I see no other markers. According to the people on Newegg with the exact same board, it supports the Xeon and the Gigabyte website also says it is supported, so I doubt both sources are wrong.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:44:39 AM

Probably a dead chip then. Try it with the Biostar board.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:47:53 AM

there are a bunch of BS artists on that site as previously stated. you have to weed out the reviews.

some of those boards may have come through with the correct BIOS to run that processor......... some of these guys may have updated the BIOS to make that chip run. you said your box "only says"............. if it doesn't have a version number on it it may be an early board. This is where we're ( you're ) stuck. The machine isn't going to run with that processor in it. if you can borrow one or if you pony up and buy a cheap ( supported ) processor to flash the BIOS you'll be in good shape.

I have that processor running on an Asrock board. I got lucky. booted right up.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 4:59:04 AM

I just read the reviews......... only 2 people said they used that processor. the first guy said he updated the BIOS to version F14 before trying to boot.

are you hitting F8 on start-up so you can try and get into the BIOS ?

( start tapping it over and over until you get in )
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 5:00:58 AM

icracked said:
GA-Z77-D3H is the model, I see no other markers. According to the people on Newegg with the exact same board, it supports the Xeon and the Gigabyte website also says it is supported, so I doubt both sources are wrong.

my ex3 gen3 mobo will support Ivy Bridge CPUs, it says so on newegg, as well as ASRock's website... but no way in hell it will work unless I update the BIOS.

If you just happen to have a mobo with early bios then you will be stuck unstil you can put in a natively working CPU such as a sandy or ivy brige. xeon was NOT designed for z77, and upon initial release Intel released a statement saying that they would not work together, and on Intel's site it does not list them as being compatable. This means that the few boards that do support it are doing it because the board manufacturers have done some work around to make it work, and as z77 was released before the CPU it means that it is very likely that you need an update before it will work.

But as others have stated, if that is not the issue then you may just happen to have a bad chip... it's almost as rare as winning the lottery... yet somehow less exciting.
m
l
October 20, 2012 5:19:49 AM

OK, so I know now I have Rev 1.0 rather then 1.1 and the Xeon has been supported since F18... I have 16.

I now know I have F16 because my bread board worked, akwardly, but it worked. The display is really fragmented but ill see about using my IBM.

Thanks Everyone!
Ill keep yall updated
m
l
October 20, 2012 5:47:58 AM

Update your bios and you should be good.
m
l
!