Computer not giving signal after installing video card.

Michael21

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hello. I am having some major trouble with my computer. I once had (3 weeks ago) a mid-gamer rig which I used for gaming mainly. It had an Intel Pentium D 3.4 GHz which I overclocked to 3.8GHz and I also installed a Cooler Master Vortex 211p to guarantee the cooling. The CPU wasn't getting over 60, but before installing the cooler it was around 89 degrees celcius. The motherboard of this computer , a MSI G31 TM-P35 was barely one year old and died and I could notice a burning smell and a sort of light in the casing when it died. I presumed it burnt. I decided then to transfer all my parts to my mother's computer which already has one gig of ram and a Biostar G31 M7 TE with the latest bios update. This motherboard used to be mine and I used to install my Radeon HD 4350 on it before moving to the msi, but somehow as I was installing the video card, the computer would not boot up and it would turn on then off after a few seconds .. then turning back on again. It would repeat this action indefinitely if I did not press and hold the power button. Then I decided to go with the ram. I plugged it in and pressed the power button. The computer acted similarly as with the Video card but would remain on after the first restart. I was (and still am) confused about what was happening. As the power supply of my old computer did not die I decided to test it with the computer. I plugged everything and it booted up with 3GB of ram (2 from my old rig). I used it for around two hours without any trouble, it was as fast as the previous one. Then I had the idea to plug the video card to try if it'd have the same results. Unfortunately it didn't and after I removed the video card to continue to use the 3gb of ram, the computer would not post anymore. If I removed the 1 gig of ram , the computer would not give any signal but if I put the single 1 gig alone, it boots up normally. I do not know what happened and I hope that you guys can help me on this.

Here are my old and new specs:

Old rig(one that burnt) :

Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz
2GB Stronium Memory DDR2(800)
MSI G31 TM-P35 DDR2
Cooler Master Vortex 211p
Hitachi 500GB Hard Disk
XGR 500W eXtreme Power
Nvidia GTS 250(One that was on the rig when it burnt)

Current rig:

Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz
1GB Patriot Memory DDR2 (800)
BIOSTAR G31 M7 TE
Hitachi 500GB Hard disk
ATI Radeon HD4350 1GB DDR2

NOTE: The Radeon was NOT installed on the computer that died when it actually died.

Thanks for any help provided.

Regards, Michael

Michael21

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Nope it does not :/ .. I am trying since 3 weeks .. still no changed.. It once worked and I once had 3GB running at the same time with no issues but when I tested the VGA after it .. it no longer worked.

Negi9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Does it boot if you use the onboard graphics? If that's the case, then the BIOS is searching for the onboard graphics rather than the HD 4350.
If that's the case, then use the onboard graphics to boot into your BIOS and change the default graphics to PCIe.
Good Luck!

Michael21

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Hello, thanks for your reply. I checked options available in the bios and still no effect .. Well I might have forgotten something in doing it. Yes the computer boots up when it's on on board. I don't think that it has a problem with the bios, or maybe its a bios problem affecting either the ram or the vga card? I gave up about the ram but I still need that card to fit in lol .. and it's really getting on my nerves .. Thanks for suggesting anyway. I'll maybe unmount, then re-mount the entire computer to see if it has anything to do with static electricity. Thanks. :) I'd be pleased to hear any further advices though