New Router for Wifi Streaming/Print Sharing/Maybe NAS

inanition02

Distinguished
Looking at a new router to replace my aging Linksys E2000 (it has been fairly reliable, but now requires bi-weekly reboots for computers to see other items on the network - internet is always stable though). I do some gaming, but not a lot online. Most of the high throughput usage is for streaming video (both from the interwebs and within the network), file shares and downloads. Will be connecting 3 wifi laptops, PS3, wifi HTPC, desktop (wired) and Verizon femtocell (just needs a standard Cat 5 port).

Features Required:
- USB host/sharing for printer and scanner (haven't used this before - but very interested, I have a samsung personal laser printer and an HP scanner and need something that works with both)

- Gigabit ethernet

- 802.11 a/b/g/n - I would prefer simultaneous dual-band (as my HTPC has a 5ghz capable card and that's where most of the streaming is going).

- STABLE/RELIABLE

- Range - this is something of a secondary concern - I have a fairly large apartment, but it's still just a flat. I do plan on being in a house in the not to distant future though, so reasonable range would be preferred.

Budget: $150-200 though lower is better of course

Also to be considered:
I'm considering building a NAS box, but if the USB host on the router can share a USB drive at reasonable speed rates, I would try that. Any tips on speeds/best practices for this would be appreciated.

Brand Preference:
Anything reliable - and not Rosewill.

I looked around a bit on newegg and this seems to be a pretty good option:

ASUS RT-N56U Wireless Router Dual Band Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit 802.11a/b/g/n 300Mbps support USB Storage, Print and Media Server
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062

Thoughts?

Solution
TBH until now I've never seen a router by them. Their motherboards and GPUs are awesome.

The one you were looking at has pretty high reviews on Amazon and TechRadar, One review said it actually performs better than the Linksys E4200 (linked above). Sounds like it's a pretty solid unit.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've got a personal preference towards Netgear and Linksys.
Have used quite a few other brands previously and had no end of trouble with them! (such as Billion and D-Link)

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
TBH until now I've never seen a router by them. Their motherboards and GPUs are awesome.

The one you were looking at has pretty high reviews on Amazon and TechRadar, One review said it actually performs better than the Linksys E4200 (linked above). Sounds like it's a pretty solid unit.

Solution

andrew_tcom13

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015

You don't need femtocell now to use your cellphone. There are many software products on modern market, which can allow you to avoid expensive femtocell installation. Usually they work via common wi-fi network (thru SIP server) . And you can save your money.
;)