Sign in with
Your question

New GPU, Old CPU

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2013 7:37:00 PM

I want to get a new video card, HD7950 or GTX 660 ti in the near future. But I am concerned my CPU, AMD Althlon II x4 640, won't be able to keep up with the new graphics card and will just bottle neck. I tried OCing my CPU and have gotten it to 3.7 GHz and be stable, but BF3 doesn't seem to like this and will start freezing up after playing for a few minutes. It doesn't crash nor does the computer, and I can seem to play BOps just fine with the OC, so it might just be BF3? I'll try other games when I get the chance. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so even though I'd like to, I really can't do a new build and just get a better CPU. So if I do get a new graphics card, will I get the full performance out of it that I am hoping for or will my CPU bog it down?

More about : gpu cpu

a c 851 à CPUs
a c 1363 U Graphics card
March 3, 2013 9:08:47 PM

It will bottleneck the card slightly but if you get a Phenom II X4 (should overclock little more) you can reduce that bottleneck.
m
l
March 3, 2013 11:45:29 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I realized I am having BF3 problems, not OC problems. I returned everything to stock and set BF3 to medium settings and it still stuttered and froze and frame dropped constantly. I am in the middle of resolving the issue. When I did have a few minutes of successful game play, I got BF3 @60 fps consistent on ultra with no AA, so I might not need to upgrade at all if I can get this issue resolved.
m
l
!