Sign in with
Your question

Is my Hard Drive Dead?

Last response: in Components
March 3, 2013 7:54:22 PM

Hi, as of today, my hard drive in my PC started making a louder than usually clicking sound. On top of this, my computer papers to be running incredibly slow and keeps crashing. The hard drive is a western digital caviar green and is in my home built system. It is 2 weeks old this Tuesday. It seems odd that the hard drive would just fail like it is currently. However in the little time I can use in between cries all evidence seems to suggest that it is a problem with the hard drive, as on the system task manager under processes the hard drive is being run at 100% with no applications open and transferring very little data. So, has anyone got any ideas of the cause of the problem, am I completely wrong? And have you got any suggestions on a solution?

More about : hard drive dead

March 3, 2013 9:22:36 PM

About the only odd noise you'll find inside a case is either bearings going bad in a fan or mechanical issues in a hard drive. Sounds like you need to get a RMA for the hard drive from whomever you bought it from. Sorry man..
March 3, 2013 9:24:16 PM

Dashman9000 said:
About the only odd noise you'll find inside a case is either bearings going bad in a fan or mechanical issues in a hard drive. Sounds like you need to get a RMA for the hard drive from whomever you bought it from. Sorry man..

I thought as much, :(  after gathering all of my sources together I think it may be the "click of death". But thanks for the quick reply.
!