Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asrock Z77 extreme4 problem won't post(after retry in case)

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2012 6:19:13 AM

So I put it together outside the case i had the cpu, cpu heatsink and ram. plugged in the power and it worked. put it in the case try turning it on and it doesn't work. Case fans spin but thats it. Did I short my board? if so is that covered?
a c 199 à CPUs
October 20, 2012 6:29:51 AM

Check that you have all the standoffs in the right spots, and no standoffs that don't match up to a hole in the board.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2012 6:35:06 AM

Uhm, did you actually connect the cases power button to the actual motherboard..?

Like this:

m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2012 6:41:04 AM

I tried it with the case power disconnected using only the on board power button and still only the fans turned on.
m
l
October 20, 2012 6:42:43 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
Check that you have all the standoffs in the right spots, and no standoffs that don't match up to a hole in the board.

Just checked them and they are all in the right spots. I heard that if you touch them to the back of the board it could short circuit, is that possibly what happened?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 20, 2012 6:51:57 AM

24 pin in correctly? 8 pin EPS in correctly?

My case fans start up before the CPU and motherboard does (Maybe around 5 seconds).

Could be a chance that the 24 pin sort of dislodged -- careful you don't push it in too much. I have the same board and its not supported well in the top right corner
October 20, 2012 6:57:04 AM

JJ1217 said:
24 pin in correctly? 8 pin EPS in correctly?

My case fans start up before the CPU and motherboard does (Maybe around 5 seconds).

Could be a chance that the 24 pin sort of dislodged -- careful you don't push it in too much. I have the same board and its not supported well in the top right corner

I have tried that so many times. My power supply has a 20+4 connector and I feel like the 4 aren't going in all the way but I cant push any more on them. Also if the case fans are connected to the motherboard and the motherboard was screwed would they still work?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2012 7:13:25 AM

Ah, I think I know your issue. So many times I've seen this happen. Make sure your extra 4 pins are actually in the RIGHT way. Happened SO many times to others I've known. Generally there are arrows on it, make sure both tips of the arrows meet at the same point. Might fix your issue, although I'm not really certain.

If your fans continue to work, then it might not be a motherboard issue. Try taking out your GPU and using onboard video.
m
l
October 20, 2012 3:23:03 PM

I feel like a complete moron I forgot the 8 pin at the top of the motherboard. works fine but I have a A7 not sure what it is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2012 8:41:54 PM

chadk24 said:
I feel like a complete moron I forgot the 8 pin at the top of the motherboard. works fine but I have a A7 not sure what it is.

Haha, thats why I asked if you put in the 8 pin EPS -.-
m
l
October 20, 2012 9:48:55 PM

JJ1217 said:
Haha, thats why I asked if you put in the 8 pin EPS -.-

Thanks for your help I install windows and it works perfectly (I'm on it now LOL). Now how would I go about stress testing it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2012 10:01:05 PM

Run Prime95 for a little bit for your CPU, and run Kombustor on your GPU for 45 mins + just to check if its stable. Expect higher temps on both Prime95 and Kombustor -- it exceeds normal use in gaming and what not, meaning it gets hotter (Like I get 60 degrees on my GPU in games, but I get like 80 in kombustor.) Don't let your CPU exceed 80 degrees though.
m
l
October 21, 2012 12:40:53 AM

JJ1217 said:
Run Prime95 for a little bit for your CPU, and run Kombustor on your GPU for 45 mins + just to check if its stable. Expect higher temps on both Prime95 and Kombustor -- it exceeds normal use in gaming and what not, meaning it gets hotter (Like I get 60 degrees on my GPU in games, but I get like 80 in kombustor.) Don't let your CPU exceed 80 degrees though.

Alright thanks for all the help.
m
l
October 21, 2012 12:40:58 AM

Best answer selected by chadk24.
m
l
!