New Diamond 7870 Crash, Sound Loop, Fan 100%

gogonimago

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Ok so I just got a new Diamond 7870 and whenever I go to play games, they run flawlessly, but after under a minute of playing, my computer freezes, it goes into a sound loop, the monitor says "Monitor going to Sleep" and the fan goes to 100 percent. I have to hold down the power button to stop the computer and the madness. It doesn't matter what game I'm playing (I haven't seen it happen with Minecraft though) it happens to everything, from Unreal Tournament to TF2, from Just Cause to to Civilization 5 to Batman Arkham City to Starcraft 2, they all run flawlessly but end up crashing my system.

Before getting this 7870, I had a similar problem with my Nvidia GT 520, except with the 520 I could play games like Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (which was pretty taxing on the 520) for hours and only then would my computer crash. It didn't crash like it does now, it just randomly shuts off. I don't know if the fan speed went to max because back then my Antec power supply was louder that it even if it was running at 100%.

I have searched through the forums high and low and it seems some other people are having this problem too, but I haven't seen a solution.

I ran memtest (it was when I had my old setup of the old Antec power supply and the gt 520, but the memory shouldn't be affected by a change in graphics card and PSU should it?) everything was fine. I updated my BIOS yesterday, I updated my graphics drivers through steam yesterday, I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, I've tried everything and nothing is working. Someone suggested I let a Linux live CD run and see if it has any problems, he said if it runs fine for a few hours, then Mobo, and CPU are eliminated. Is this true? If not, what should I do?

My specs are at this website: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02640326&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5054169#N271

The only things I have changed is that I got a Silencer Mk II 750 Watt PSU and the Diamond Radeon HD 7870.

If you have any idea what is wrong, please reply

BigNyasha

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I also have the same problem my card overheats to around 90 degrees Celsius (Asus hd7870).Try using MSI afterburner to under clock the GPU to 800Mhz and set the GPU voltage to 1.00v

BigNyasha

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I also have the same problem my card overheats to around 90 degrees Celsius (Asus hd7870).Try using MSI afterburner to under clock the GPU to 800Mhz and set the GPU voltage to 1.00v

gogonimago

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

The card doesn't overheat, the temperatures are fine, the problem is that it crashes

gogonimago

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Yeah I've ruled out the bad PSU. I also replaced the GPU and I'm having problems. I'm really looking at the CPU now. Do you know of any tests I can do to see if it's stable and to make SURE that the CPU is the problem (besides straight-up replacing it)?

Try running Prime95 for a few hours.
Honestly I have found more dead motherboards then CPUs but both are suspect right now.

When sound loops, the memory RAM is usually installed wrong, or the motherboard is defective.
Specifically, a bad chipset...
In any case I suggest you install 2 sticks of RAM in the slots closest to the processor.
If it still loops, replace the motherboard. In fact I would install Gigabyte or Intel, and forget about the present manufacturer...