Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My computer has made 3 graphics card have lines over the screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 25, 2012 4:39:51 PM

so about 2 weeks ago i got a ati radeon hd 4870 x2 off a friend put it in my computer lines come on screen so i reset but it nothing didnt show on the screen so i put my 8800gtx it was okay for a while but i was playing ava then my pc crashed could not move the mouse or anything i reset when it came back on my screen had all lines over it so then i put my old 8800gt and it did the same thing just after a day and today i got a 8500gt and that did the same as soon as i installed it. i have tryed the 8800gt in my brothers computer and it has lines all over the screen the same as in my computer so i think it has broken all the cards.


can anyone tell me whats wrong with my computer ?


a c 291 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:08:33 PM

Are you sure it's not a broken cable or broken monitor?

If you are sure it's not either, then it might be your power supply unit.
August 25, 2012 5:44:40 PM

no its not the monitor on bored graphics works i am using it now
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:48:04 PM

So what's your power supply unit?
August 25, 2012 5:52:04 PM

580w
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 6:04:36 PM

Brand, model?
August 25, 2012 7:32:28 PM

Sunius said:
Brand, model?



g7 power extreme
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 7:50:07 PM

That's your culprit...

May I ask how you managed to connect 4870x2/8800GTX/8800GT to it? That thing isn't mean to be used with electricity.. It may blow up at any second, especially after the stress you've gave to it.
August 25, 2012 7:52:34 PM

Sunius said:
That's your culprit...

May I ask how you managed to connect 4870x2/8800GTX/8800GT to it? That thing isn't mean to be used with electricity.. It may blow up at any second, especially after the stress you've gave to it.


what that's the name on the psu
August 25, 2012 7:54:04 PM

google it it comes up as a psu
August 25, 2012 8:26:13 PM

Another wonderful Chinese knock-off PSU sold to the masses for profits.

It says 580W, but what they really mean is something like 240W. 12V rails is really more like 10-15V rails. There's a chance it damaged everything that touched it.
August 25, 2012 8:39:23 PM

how do u know this
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 9:50:47 PM

First of all, you claimed you had 4870x2/8800GTX/8800GT attached to it. According to its specs, it's too weak to power either of them.

Secondly, such cheap power supplies tend to have such quality, read this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...
August 25, 2012 10:22:01 PM

where are u getting Sutai from
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 10:37:23 PM

Jesus, that's what they tested. It's very similar grade to your power supply unit.

Anyway, let's not have that discussion.

Could you answer this question: how did you connect 4870x2/8800GTX/8800GT to it??
August 25, 2012 11:13:28 PM

oh right i have been using this psu for about a year now and had no idea with a 6-pin pci-express power cable and the 4870x2 with a 6-pin and a 8pin power cable that i got from maplin
a c 226 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 12:03:11 AM

Time for a new PSU. Period. What is your budget to replace the one you have?
August 26, 2012 12:16:26 AM

COLGeek said:
Time for a new PSU. Period. What is your budget to replace the one you have?


that's the thing got no money left after i wasted it all on them cards and i play wow gonna waste my days :( 
August 26, 2012 12:25:50 AM

and how do i know its the psu say i buy a new one and a graphics card it dont do the same thing cud it be the mobo ?
a c 226 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 3:14:46 AM

Your symptoms are classic signs of a defective PSU. 1000s of threads on Tom's to corroborate the diagnosis given by others.

Your call. Good luck!
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 12:19:22 PM

Ukgamer said:
oh right i have been using this psu for about a year now and had no idea with a 6-pin pci-express power cable and the 4870x2 with a 6-pin and a 8pin power cable that i got from maplin


So you bought adapters and plugged them into your power supply unit? You have probably damaged the cards by doing that with such power supply unit :/ .
August 26, 2012 2:15:22 PM

Sunius said:
So you bought adapters and plugged them into your power supply unit? You have probably damaged the cards by doing that with such power supply unit :/ .


yeah the cards are still the same when i plug them in to another computer so i am gonna have to buy a new card and a psu :( 
August 26, 2012 2:18:19 PM

COLGeek said:
Your symptoms are classic signs of a defective PSU. 1000s of threads on Tom's to corroborate the diagnosis given by others.

Your call. Good luck!


okay thanks for the help
!