Sign in with
Your question

How loud is the EVGA GTX 670 FTW?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2012 5:12:11 PM

Hello, I have recently been looking into building a gaming computer, and I have am leaning towards the GTX 670 FTW from EVGA.

Before I pull the trigger on this, I wanted to know how much noise the FTW Edition makes, so that I can be sure of my decision, or switch to the MSI Power Edition or Gigabyte Windforce.

I have checked reviews of the different cards, but no website has all of these cards in similar setups, so I am unsure of the actual amount of noise it makes.

I currently own an Xbox 360 fat (20gb premium from 2006), and it sounds like a leaf blower, so if anyone could please tell me how loud the FTW is compared to that it would really help me out. I don't want to move from a leaf blower to a vacuum cleaner Haha!

Thank you for any tips, info or advice you can give me!

More about : loud evga gtx 670 ftw

August 25, 2012 7:02:56 PM

Not bad at all, IMO. Just don't OC it, and use stock fan profile. You might even be able to lower the fan speed a bit from stock if quiet is your primary goal.

m
l
August 25, 2012 7:25:05 PM

From reviews and user feedback I read(mainly on Overclock.net) it is not obscenely loud if you keep it under 70% fan, your GPU will run hotter than some other 670 models but as long as it is under 70 degrees it won't affect your performance. It is decent if your case have bad airflow(i.e a silent case like Define R4) or SLIing with 2 GPU right on top of each other since it doesn't spread heat around and all of its exhaust comes out of the back.

Custom Cooler GPU like the Gigabyte/ASUS/MSI 670 OC models will run cooler and quieter than the the FTW, that's just the limitation of the Blower style cooler FTW uses. These Custom Cooler spread heat around the case but as long as your case have good airflow that is a non-issue.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 11:44:54 PM

Thanks, the case I have been looking into is the rosewill tgif v2, haven't got it yet so i don't know how good airflow is, but from what I read it has enough fans to keep things cool. Could someone please tell ne how well this case is if they have it?
Also, can anyone tell me the sound difference between the card and my xbox 360. That is my only point of reference right now, and the reason why I am upgrading :p 
m
l
August 26, 2012 12:11:13 AM

datguy88 said:
Thanks, the case I have been looking into is the rosewill tgif v2, haven't got it yet so i don't know how good airflow is, but from what I read it has enough fans to keep things cool. Could someone please tell ne how well this case is if they have it?
Also, can anyone tell me the difference between the card and my xbox 360. That is my only point of reference right now, and the reason why I am upgrading :p 

tgif?? I couldn't find any rosewill case by that name on newegg, the cloest would be the Thor V2 which at the current promotion price of 103.99(after a 20% off promo code) is than enough Air flow for Cooling 2 Gigabyte Windforce 3X (N670-OC/GD2) in SLI and one of the best in Cooling Performance/value.

In this review, The Thor V2 is rated the best case for Air Cooling a 4 Way GTX 590 SLI.

This TechReport review of GTX 660Ti(watered-down 670) have the following quote:

Here's one way to think about it. In de-tuning the GK104 in order to make this more affordable version, Nvidia has taken the [b said:
GeForce GTX 680 and shaved off two Xbox 360 consoles worth of graphics processing power. Not to worry, though: the GTX 660 Ti still has 14 or so Xboxes left. ]Here's one way to think about it. In de-tuning the GK104 in order to make this more affordable version, Nvidia has taken the GeForce GTX 680 and shaved off two Xbox 360 consoles worth of graphics processing power. Not to worry, though: the GTX 660 Ti still has 14 or so Xboxes left.
[/b]

So by this analogy GTX 670 should be 1Xbox360 console better than 660Ti therefore the equivalent of 15 Xbox 360 console in graphics processing power.
m
l
August 27, 2012 2:42:55 AM

Ah, stupid phone, thank you, I meant the THOR but I guess my phone prefers sayings over PC cases lol

Also, thank you for the quote from that article, but I meant the 670 compared to the Xbox 360 in a sound comparison, not in graphics. That is a good ideology for how weak that seven year old console is though.
m
l
August 27, 2012 3:03:36 AM

datguy88 said:
Ah, stupid phone, thank you, I meant the THOR but I guess my phone prefers sayings over PC cases lol

Also, thank you for the quote from that article, but I meant the 670 compared to the Xbox 360 in a sound comparison, not in graphics. That is a good ideology for how weak that seven year old console is though.

OK, so you mean in noise level. I never hear my Xbox/PS3 make any noise that isn't HDD/optical drive related when gaming and same goes the the GPU, when in idle you shouldn't hear anything unless you are sitting right on top of you rig, these Custom Fan GPUs are not very audible under 60% fan and you won't need that much fan speed unless you are OCing them for gaming.

For better reference here is a chart:

They are all still quieter than refrigerator hum, however you are more likely to hear the FTW's blower(38.8) than the Gigabyte(32)/MSI(37)'s custom fans.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:06:45 AM

Thank you so much for all that information, that's just about everything I was looking for to make a comparison.

Referring to my Xbox, I was asking because as soon as it turns on, the thing almost drowns out my tv's volume which only gets worse with gameplay.

If you own one of these GTX 670s could you please tell me how well it works for you all around (company reliability, performance in gameplay, noise, etc.).

Also,would the 6 or so Db make a big difference between the Windforce and FTW, because the FTW is the one I am leaning towards as it has the highest core, boost, and memory clocks which works best for me as I don't think I am ready to mess around with volts and overclocking yet.

Thanks for all the help!
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:23:10 PM

datguy88 said:
Thank you so much for all that information, that's just about everything I was looking for to make a comparison.

Referring to my Xbox, I was asking because as soon as it turns on, the thing almost drowns out my tv's volume which only gets worse with gameplay.

If you own one of these GTX 670s could you please tell me how well it works for you all around (company reliability, performance in gameplay, noise, etc.).

Also,would the 6 or so Db make a big difference between the Windforce and FTW, because the FTW is the one I am leaning towards as it has the highest core, boost, and memory clocks which works best for me as I don't think I am ready to mess around with volts and overclocking yet.

Thanks for all the help!

Just read these end-user OC results from Overclock.net:

Gigabyte Overclocks

Same card, too long only the last 90ish have useful information

MSI PE Overclocks

EVGA FTW Overclocks

ASUS DCII 670 Top Overclocks

I could save you the time and give you my conclusion reading through all these and the 1.3Ghz+ OC result tally:

There is no difference in between these card's probablity to reach a stable 1.3Ghz+ OC that can't be explained by just Silicon lottery luck which is not entirely in the manufacture's control.

So instead of focusing on which factory OC card have a higher factory OC and should/could reach the best OC result, you should focus more on which card runs quieter/cools better/cost less(hint: the answer is Gigabyte Windforce 3X for all 3, ASUS Top use to beat it in the first 2 but now it is out of stock).

The card's labeled factory guarateed OC favors MSI(1089, 1079 is a newegg typo) and FTW(1084), however I seen just as many Gigabyte(1058) run 1150 Mhz+ out of the box from overclock.net user reviews.

Plus the difference in noise between FTW and Windforce(38.8 vs 32) is 6.8 which means your FTW is going to sound more like a quiet conversation(40db) than a quiet bedroom(30db), you decide if that's worth it for paying extra & marginally better stats on paper(at most you lose 1.5-2FPS which might not even be recognizable on 60hz monitor since both will be running over 60 FPS anyway).
m
l
!