Page file. System managed or Custom. Which is better

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Hi there something I wish to know is what is more effective with page file usage.
Custom or system manage ?
I use my PC for gaming and that is it. No downloading or video editing just gaming.

AMD 955 BE Procceser
6GB ram @1066
m4a78lt-m Motherboard
xfx core edition 850Watt PSU
250 GB HDD not sure what the write speed is.
Thanks in advance

CDdude55

Distinguished
I personally leave the page file at default(system managed). But from what i know most system aren't going to use it much since most machines have enough memory. So you could set it to a custom size if you'd like (the lowest you can go is 16MB).

bigkid

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
by setting it to a custom size ...( i use the system recommended size since i have plenty of disk space ) you will save a nano second or 2 ( lol ) since the system doesn't need to 'poll' the possibility of adjusting the page size because the size is static.

bigkid

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
you might also want to look into free-ware page file defraggers....even though you probablly don't page that often over time the pagefile can get fragmented

XP seems to take less ram then Windows 7 and 6G is a bit low for ram on 7 and no paging file. You might hit the paging file if you have a number of things open or a game that takes 4G ram (IE Skyrim).

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

I play BF3 at HIGH 18x and HBAO with no issues. 6GB low really! I am upgrading to 8 GB @ 1600. Plus I have heard that anything over 8 you wont notice the difference in gaming

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

will check this out thanks

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

thanks for the info just wanted to know if either one has a performance gain over the other. I think Ill do a little benchmarking with it set at recommend and system manged and see if any FPS increase or loading times. Thanks again

The only thing you have to worry about in Windows is when you run out of physical ram it tries to hit the paging file. If that is not there Windows normally BSOD's, if you are lucky it will warn you that you are getting low on system resources before BSOD'n.