AMD FX cpu's good and worth it?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I want to know, about the AMD FX cpu's.

The 8350 and others.

For gaming and 2D and 3D animation creation and video editing, are these good? I am not worried about how well they stack up against intel stuff. Do they work well and do a good job?

Solution
Yes, they aren't far apart. As you're an Editor, you need to compare to an i7 as a counterpart of the AMD, as HT is for editing and rendering. The FX 8350 is the best AMD processor out there. Although it beats sandy, Ivy is better than it. However it can easily be overclocked to an i7's performance level. It has beaten many Ivy bridge processors too in multi threaded applications, but the i7-3770k is still above it and has a higher price.

If I were you, I'd get the 8350 and invest in a good cooling solution, well even a 212 Evo can do that!

AMD Pros: value for money
Highly overclockable
Similar performance to an i7

Cons: High power Consumption
Having an AMD processor is like a rollercoaster ride.
I have two AMD FX rigs and they are both gaming rigs. I can say that I have not had any problems with them in any game I have played. They both can play games every bit as good as my i5 3570K rig. If it were not for running a Hackintosh on my new rig I would have built a FX rig for my 2013 build. I am talking real world performance and not benchmarks. Fitted with a good GPU and quality motherboard you have a very capable gaming rig.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

What AMD cpu's do you use and what video cards?

I checked the benchmarks and they are not that far apart.

Rohan Rathi

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Yes, they aren't far apart. As you're an Editor, you need to compare to an i7 as a counterpart of the AMD, as HT is for editing and rendering. The FX 8350 is the best AMD processor out there. Although it beats sandy, Ivy is better than it. However it can easily be overclocked to an i7's performance level. It has beaten many Ivy bridge processors too in multi threaded applications, but the i7-3770k is still above it and has a higher price.

If I were you, I'd get the 8350 and invest in a good cooling solution, well even a 212 Evo can do that!

AMD Pros: value for money
Highly overclockable
Similar performance to an i7

Cons: High power Consumption
Having an AMD processor is like a rollercoaster ride.

Solution

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

What are some good motherboard choices that will allow me to do the rendering and design and gaming without costing me too much money?

Rohan Rathi

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Well, I'm gonna build one but It's gonna have a Crosshair V formula-Z. The most expensive one out there. The good thing about AMD motherboards is that they are VERY cheap compared to Intel boards. You might wanna take a look at them, and compare. They're cheaper. If you want a cheap board in AMD get the Asrock 990FX extreme3, it's 120 USD (dont know where you live, I live in India). You'll be able to overclock it decently and it supports 3-way SLI/crossfire. If you want something better the Asus Sabertooth 990FX is a good choice, or even the Asrock 990FX extreme9.

Personally, I suggest you go with the Sabertooth 990FX rev 2.0, it's 180 Dollars.

Personally I would get a FX 6300 and something like a mid range Gigabyte Motherboard. Spend the extra money you save on the CPU and Motherboard on getting a decent cooler, and adding extra Ram which will help with the editing.

Once you get to a certain point with motherboards you are paying for extra PCIE slots and channels that you most probably just don't need.

Mactronix :)

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

I thought the 6300's were not that good?

Rohan Rathi

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
It isn't, just stick with the 8350 you'll be fine. The fx 6300 cant compete against i5's you want that sort of PC? If you have a really low budget then only get the 6300, otherwise the best bet is the 8350.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Something to look into is what programs will you be using and how they perform on both AMD and Intel processors. Certain programs benefit from AMD's architecture because of the core count whereas other programs are much faster on Intel's architecture because of the faster IPC (performance per core).

In any case, if you do buy an AMD processor make sure you get an FX-83xx as there's really no point in getting less than all four piledriver modules (since you'll be doing creation/editing you'll need the extra cores) and you DO NOT want to accidentally buy an old bulldozer processor (FX-81xx).

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Just get the 8320, its cheaper and clock to 4.7GHz no problem, which on air will be about your limit. I have had mine running @ 5.1GHz 1.6v (water cooled) but that was just for a quick benchmark then back down to a healthy voltage, its now running @ 4.7GHz stable 24/7

stantheman123

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
If you were strictly gaming i would say to get the 6300 since the extra cores wouldnt help, However since your doing 2D and 3D animation creation and video editing. You should consider the 8320 and just overclock it,

Also nothing wrong with amd cpus for gaming, I have a amd fx 6300 in one right, and a i7 in the other Both play games perfectly, Games are mostly gpu bound. Just get yourself a soild gpu and your good to go.

This for the most part. The FX6300 will work just dandy if you are not doing massive rendering, modeling, etc

Check out the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ for $95

(Editorial Content) LOL at Anand's Bench Tool

The FX 6300 is considered by most to be the best of both worlds. If the Op will be doing a lot of 2D and 3D animation creation and video editing then the 8350 is the better option. If however gaming is the first use and the creation stuff is more of a second thought usage then its a waste of money in my opinion.
The 6300 overclocks well and Techradar have this to say about the chip when overclocked.

The multi-threaded performance easily eclipses a stock Core i5, and almost manages to do the same in single-threaded performance too. It's not far off in terms of gaming, with our low-end Batman: AC scores showing 155fps for the FX-6300 versus 164FPS for the stock-clocked i5-3570K.

Just putting options out there for the OP

Mactronix :)