Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming computer for son

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2012 12:37:34 PM

Hello,
I am looking to put together a new gaming computer for my son. Mostly WoW and Runescape. The following are the parts I am looking at:

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H M/B
i7-3770K CPU
16G G.Skill Trident-X RAM
OCZ Vertex4 SATA 3 256G SSD
MSI 2G GTX670 GPU
WD BLACK SATA3 2TB FAEX HDD
Corsair HX750 V2 power
Thermaltake Revo-Full
Antec Kuhler H20 620 cpu cooler

All parts listed here:
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Already has Steel Series K/B and Razer mouse
The intention is to source all the components through one site, in this case MSY. Am open to other retailers in Perth WA. What I'm hoping is that the forumites here can recommend upgrades/sidegrades without impact on price. Am pretty much limited to AUS$2000-$2200, and at these specs sitting at $2100. No monitor required. Probably wont be any overclocking, but may want to SLI/x-fire in future.

More about : gaming computer son

Best solution

Anonymous
October 20, 2012 12:48:47 PM

Very nice setup. Should last him a long time. I don't see anything wrong with it. Depending on what resolution you run at on the monitor. The 670 is a good card. Anything above 1080p res and I would go with a 680 4gb card. But thats just me. I game at 2560 x 1600 res.
October 20, 2012 12:58:41 PM

If the $2100 price point is all good and the existing monitor is meeting all the needs then no comment.

Otherwise ...
> this is a lot of cpu for gaming
> if overclocking is a no then watercooling seems odd, the K series cpu isn't going to matter and a H77 motherboard will be just as good
> 16GB of ram isn't going to mean much

Would downgrading these three things make sense to either (1) save money or (2) upgrade other parts ... like a better GPU and a bigger monitor (or a better one or a second one)???
Related resources
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 20, 2012 1:06:01 PM

That is quite a rig for Runescape and WoW, could likely cut down on near everything and still have a good build.

In a nutshell, its overkill.
October 20, 2012 1:35:07 PM

Supremely overkill, but whatever floats your boat.

I believe MSY aren't in WA and don't post either? I live in Australia as well.
October 20, 2012 2:59:30 PM

Should have also added that he will be doing a fair bit of photo manipulation (photoshop etc), some video editiing (very minimal), and he does also play other games, just that those two seem to be the current favourites. CoD, Skyrim, Crysis have all had time on his current rig.
October 28, 2012 3:07:36 AM

Best answer selected by Lifetime Ban.
!