How to see files on a private network

Menno

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I have two Win XP machines. One is connected to the LAN and the other is a standalone. I have installed an additional network card on the machine connected to the LAN. That machine is linked to the standalone through a switch using the 162.198.1.xxx sequence of IPs, with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask and no DNS, WINS, or anything else. I can ping either machine from the other through the private network, but cannot see the files. I need to pull certain files from the standalone, but have not been able to even see them. Any suggestions?

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Connect the switch to your router/modem, then connect both computers up to the switch.
Then to share a drive or folder over the network:

1. Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the drive or folder you want to share.

2. Right-click the drive or folder, and then click Sharing and Security.
If you are sharing a drive, on the Sharing tab, click If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive, click here.

If you are sharing a folder, go to the next step.

3. Do one of the following:
If the Share this folder on the network check box is available, select the check box.

If the Share this folder on the network check box is unavailable, this computer is not on a network. If you would like to set up a home or small office network, click the Network Setup Wizard link and follow the instructions to turn on file sharing. Once file sharing is enabled, begin this procedure again.

Menno

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks Arael,

For security reasons I cannot connect the switch to the router - in others words, I need to keep the two networks totally apart so that the private network is invisible to the outside world.
I know I'm missing something somewhere, but am not sure what!
I have set up a share, tried at the root level and at the specific folder level, on the standalone, but that share is not visible to the networked computer. I also have set up users by the same name and password at the local level on both machines - does not work either!
Now, I am out of tricks and in need of some help.

If you are on a router and are not using DMZ on the ports nor forwarding ports, the computers on it are not seen by the outside world anyway. The 192 address is not routable and is behind the NAT of the router, so nothing is seen from the outside.

So it does not matter how you are trying to separate the systems, neither of them are visible on the general internet.

Are you sure both IPs are valid and you are not pinging another computer that you think is that one? Try turning off the firewall on both computers.

Menno

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
After several reboots of the "networked" computer, I was able to map the drive with the needed data and set up a scheduled task transferring the data. I think that my main problem was with the fact that I had not shared the data folder. After that, everything started working OK. Just a little oversight, I'd say! Thanks for y'alls help!