Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition successfully unlocked to Quad Core !!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 4, 2013 12:18:19 AM

Hello everyone,

I have successfully managed to unlock my dual core AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition. Upon unlocking to four cores it didn't require any extra voltage, just pressed 4 key on my ASUS motherboard and to my surprise the computer booted up with all four stable cores.

I can confirm all four cores work and they are stable because I have owned this processor for 3 years now and it has never caused a single bit of problems e.g. temperatures issues, freezing etc. It runs super cool at about 15 degrees idle, min load 33 degrees and full load 45 degrees. It is cooled by ASUS Royal Knight cooler :D 

I am so happy !!

a b à CPUs
March 4, 2013 12:42:02 AM

Congrats!
March 4, 2013 12:45:59 AM

Cazalan said:
Congrats!

Thank you. I thought lets share latest update on these Phenom II processor's unlocking. I must say it performs better then a lot of Phenom II X4 series as I have benchmarked it using Passmark Performance Test and it scores 4200.
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 4, 2013 5:08:45 AM

15'c idle? Where do you live because I'd be very surprised to see an idle that low on aircooling, I'm suspecting that unlocking has confused your sensors a bit, my old X3 435 unlocked shows temps of -257'c for example :-)
Moto
a c 102 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 4, 2013 7:44:05 AM

+1 my unlocked 550BE shows cores temps of 0 while my Athlon 450 not unlocked idles @ 7C according to core temps you need to look at the motherboard sensors for the true temp and if thats what says 15C idle its just wrong unless the room is under 10C. You say no voltage increase but is that because the voltage is set to auto and has just increased it anyway? But if its been running unlocked for 3 years then none of this matters as it must be OK.
March 4, 2013 7:58:02 AM

umernator said:
Hello everyone,

I have successfully managed to unlock my dual core AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition. Upon unlocking to four cores it didn't require any extra voltage, just pressed 4 key on my ASUS motherboard and to my surprise the computer booted up with all four stable cores.

I can confirm all four cores work and they are stable because I have owned this processor for 3 years now and it has never caused a single bit of problems e.g. temperatures issues, freezing etc. It runs super cool at about 15 degrees idle, min load 33 degrees and full load 45 degrees. It is cooled by ASUS Royal Knight cooler :D 

I am so happy !!

Dog if your processor is idling at 15C you have a COLD room. I'm more inclined to think that your processor is incorrectly reading the temperature of the cores on-die.

I'd also suggest that you run prime95 on all cores for at least 2 hours for stability testing to make sure your CPU isn't secretly throwing incorrectly computed math everywhere. Just because you were able to unlock all cores doesn't mean they're working properly.

With all that said, if your cores are stable and functioning properly then congrats! Nothing quite like getting more performance for free :D 
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2013 8:21:03 AM

Agreed with s3, I would run prime95. Generally I like to run it overnight but that may just be me being paranoid about stability...

But, yes. +1 to checking stability.
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 4, 2013 4:24:02 PM

Play Crysis3 for a while, its replaced Prime95 as my testing platform of choice :p 
Max settings and its way more fun than waiting for workers to finish
Moto
March 5, 2013 5:39:28 PM

I have done all the things above and yes its stable and working properly. I live in England where its normally very cold so yeah.
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 5, 2013 6:43:26 PM

Whereabouts?
I'm in Nottingham on serious watercooling and my ambients never that low that the chip idles at 15'C :) 
Maybe a thermometer to check your room temerature is in order, then we can go from there, I still say sensor error though
Moto
March 5, 2013 9:02:19 PM

I have checked everything and there are no issues whatsoever with the processor. My room temperature is freezing cold.
a c 102 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 5, 2013 9:30:16 PM

Cool, maybe with the money you saved unlocking your CPU you can get some heating.
March 6, 2013 4:00:37 PM

simon12 said:
Cool, maybe with the money you saved unlocking your CPU you can get some heating.

Haha good point but too much heat is also not good.
July 3, 2013 2:32:54 AM

umernator said:
Hello everyone,

I am so happy !!

Hey, Can you please tell me which exact motherboard did you use ?
!