Solved

New built failed to boot and no signal to monitor

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2012 3:49:22 PM

New built failed to boot and no signal to monitor :cry: 

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5 GHz

Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2 GB; Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 512 MB*^; Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 512 MB*^

RAM: GeIL EVO Corsa 16 GB (2 x 8GB); Kingston HyperX KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)^; Kingston KVR1333D3K2/4GR 4 GB (2 x 2 GB)^

Heat sink: Xigmatex Loki SD963 92mm

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6.0Gb/s

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX 12V; Coolmax CU-700B 700W ATX 12V^

Optical: Sony DVD R/RW (DRU-810A) 1

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred

All new components unless noted:
* Salvaged from previous built.
^ Also tried with.

Completed every steps listed in "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" checklist , except 17 and 22 which were not applicateble. I paid special attention to thoroughly verify and replugged EVERY connection. Also did barebone breadboarding with only CPU, RAM, GPU and PSU installed. Tested all available memory types individually, both single and double sticks, in all 6 possible configurations for all three GPUs. I omitted testing identical DIMM in unpaired memory slots, since it serve no practical purpose. Each trial preceded with resetting CMOS, then verifying both DVI-I and DVI-D one at the time.

The built - side view

Power connections

Initial boots failed with Kingston Hyper X, then KVR, and monitor received no output signal. Took it to a local pc repair shop for a second opinion after exhausted all fore mentioned barebone breadboarding. They tested with both of my RAMs plus assortment of their own DDR3, speed ranging from 1066 to 2133. Like me, they continuously get a post error code of 55, which according to documentation is a “Memory not installed” error. I then proceeded to order a second identical motherboard from the vendor and GeIL EVO Corsa 16 GB. Tested all 6 RAM configurations with the new memory on the 1st motherboard before shipping the mobo back to vendor. I then repeated all above testing on the 2nd mobo. As before, I continued to get an error code 55 from Dr. Debug.

Error code 55 on Dr. Debug = "Memory not installed"

Please correct me if I’m wrong, everything seems to indicate it’s a memory related issue: either RAM or mobo. Do believe my extensive testing with various memory models, speed and configurations has ruled out RAM as source of the problem. Could I be ‘lucky’ enough to get 2 DOA motherboards?

Please assist me with:
1. Any suggestion on what else to check or test?
2. Which comparable OC motherboard would be a good alternative, both in price and performance?

Thank y’all.

a b C Monitor
October 20, 2012 9:32:42 PM

It sounds like you did everything you can an exhausted the possibility of a memory issue. It could be a CPU issue since the memory controller resides on the the CPU. Prior to the original "i" series chips the memory controller resided on the southbridge. I had a memory issue when I build my i7 920 rig years ago. I tried different memory, sent back the motherboard, but in the end it was the CPU.
m
l
October 21, 2012 3:00:49 AM

Thanks jay2tall, you pointed out something I've not considered. Given that ASRock tech support has yet to respond after 2 weeks, really not looking forward to replacing the mobo again. Now armed with your info, will try to test out this CPU as soon I can find someone with LGA 1155 chipset.

Thank you very much and will keep y'all posted. ;) 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 21, 2012 3:05:19 AM

Ollikut said:
Thanks jay2tall, you pointed out something I've not considered. Given that ASRock tech support has yet to respond after 2 weeks, really not looking forward to replacing the mobo again. Now armed with your info, will try to test out this CPU as soon I can find someone with LGA 1155 chipset.

Thank you very much and will keep y'all posted. ;) 

Your issue is that you are trying to use a P67 chipset motherboard with an Ivy Bridge processor without having updated the BIOS. This chipset will not natively support an Ivy Bridge processor and must have its BIOS updated before it will support it.

Your options are now:
a) return the motherboard and get a Z77 Express chipset board instead
b) return the processor and get a Sandy Bridge (Gen. 2) CPU instead
c) take it to a local repair shop/friend, and have them boot with a Sandy Bridge CPU and then update the BIOS for you
October 21, 2012 3:17:16 AM

That's because native P67 bios doesn't support ivy bridge processors. You need to update the bios first for it to recognize the processor... you should have gone with a Z77 board. You missed a lot of features you processor could have supported like virtu MVP, pcie 3.0, usb 3.0 headers, support for more sata ports and so on...
m
l
October 21, 2012 3:18:53 AM

Evilqueens is right on the money.
m
l
October 22, 2012 3:50:08 AM

My apology for not having responded sooner, been out all day.

Thank you evilqueens, najiron and maestro0428 for the feedback and solutions. It's truely a priceless 'duh' moment when realized I missed the obvious :pt1cable: . Now that I realize my errors, will most definately be replacing the motherboard as recommended. Would ASRock Z77 Extreme4 be a good fit for my build or is there a better alternative around $150?
m
l
October 22, 2012 4:03:46 AM

Ollikut said:
My apology for not having responded sooner, been out all day.

Thank you evilqueens, najiron and maestro0428 for the feedback and solutions. It's truely a priceless 'duh' moment when realized I missed the obvious :pt1cable: . Now that I realize my errors, will most definately be replacing the motherboard as recommended. Would ASRock Z77 Extreme4 be a good fit for my build or is there a better alternative around $150?

That's a very good board at that price point. You can also look into the ASUS P8Z77-V LK board as a comparison. The feature set is similar and it's a matter of your choice on what features you find useful.
m
l
October 22, 2012 6:43:20 AM

evilqueens said:
That's a very good board at that price point. You can also look into the ASUS P8Z77-V LK board as a comparison. The feature set is similar and it's a matter of your choice on what features you find useful.

Thanks again for your help. Think I'll go with ASRock ZZ77 Extreme 4, its features probably suit me a tab better than Asus P8Z77-V LK. Its really a close call, don't think I can go wrong with either one.

Thanks everyone for helping :love: 
m
l
October 22, 2012 6:43:41 AM

Best answer selected by Ollikut.
m
l
!