2 month old build giving problems

xogecko

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Got this error last night, my computer started up fine when I rebooted it.
It happened again now about 5 minutes ago, I was just watching a youtube video.

GrBbd.jpg

My build is the following

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Intel Core i5-2500K, Overclocked to 4.0ghz w/ COOLER MASTER Hyper 212, Arctic Silver 5
Crucial M4, 23.8 GB free of 238 GB
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670
ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1

My first guess is probably the RAM.

Agreed. You should always remove yourself from the OC, it sucks. I suggest San Diego County.

Now that the obvious is stated. Did you make any changes in the last day or so? Also, this could be another good reason why you should save a Disk Image or a Restore point.

xogecko

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Haven't done anything at all, just downloaded Dishonored on steam.
That's probably the biggest thing I've done.
I actually haven't touched my PC for a good 1-2 weeks, before this.

Still a good starting point to remove OC and test.
You stated 8 gigs Ripjaw ram, But not the Performance, ie is this DDR3 1600 and at what voltage.

My recommendation is to remove OC and test with prime95 (blend mode) for 4 , preferably 6 hrs. As a starting point. Even though you have a good PSU Monitor Your +12V for the first 10 min. +12 should not go below +11.6 (I know spec is 11.4) and decrease going from idle to load should not be >0.3 V. Also Monitor Your CPU core temps for the first 30 minutes.
Run Furmark to stress GPU stability/Temps, Again monitor the + 12 V rail

Everthing looks good, then reapply your OC and retest.

Just some general comments. I also have an i5-2500K which I could hit 4.6/4.8. But left it @ 4.2

On Ram: You do know that any ram above 1333, or ram that is run above 1.575 Voids your warrenty unless you purchase the OC warranty ($25 for i5-2500K). If only 2 Months old Ram is probably 1.500. FWITW, I'm running 16 gigs DDR3-1600 Ripjaws CL7 @ 1.600V CPU is currently @ 4.2 and I've had since i5-2500K first came out. SO only stating this if your CPU looks like it's going south and would need to RMA it.

On SSD. I also have the 256 gig M4, storage drive as my OS drive is the 128 gig M4 (in laptop). I see you at least are keeping 10% free, However I think Min should be closer to 15% with a recommended 20 % free (based on a couple of SSD reviews I've read over at anandtech.
On OC, Not so sure 4.0 Really buys you that much outside of Saying you cpu is OCed. For Multicore you have a 20 % increase and for single core that drops to only 8% increase.
I'd check (NOT BENCKMARK) real life performance, ie do you really notice a performance increase and is it enought to warrent the OC. They say it takes at least 15% increase to even start to see a increased performance in real life.

The problem could be overclocking, but if it's been stable for a month I'd feel confident that the overclock is good. Xogecko overclocked to 4.0 which is really low. A pro3 board should hit 4.2-4.4ghz. Initially I had a 4.2 but an overclocking guide helped me reach 4.4.

Xogecko, are you doing anything when the blue screen happens?