Sign in with
Your question

Need opinions guys(and girls)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2012 7:12:32 PM

okay, so basically i built my first pc yesterday and i bought all the components from scan.co.uk (i went in store as i only live 30 miles from it) and i had a limited budget and decided to buy the graphics card at a later date e.g. christmas

my specs:
-i5 3570K(will be overclocked to about 4.3ghz)
-arctic coolers freezer 13 or something like that
-asus p8z77 v lx
-coolermaster storm enforcer case
-corsair 850w v2(overkill but so i dont have to change in future builds)
-and 8gb of corsair 1600mhz vengeance RAM (will be upgraded to 16gb)

any help would be much appreciated and i have a budget up to £300 for something like an EVGA 660ti or a 670 :)  thanks in advance.

More about : opinions guys girls

a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 7:18:22 PM

HD 7950 or GTX 670 as there better bang for buck than a GTX 660 Ti
August 25, 2012 7:18:58 PM

If you're not buying a graphics card till Christmas, there's really no point in getting a recommendation now -- pricing will change on many of the cards by then, especially if AMD is anywhere near readying their 8xxx series cards by that point (no idea if they will be or not).

My general advice would just be to buy the most powerful graphics card you can afford - the GTX 670 is certainly an awesome card.
Related resources
August 25, 2012 7:22:46 PM

No need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM... unless you're doing some heavy video editing, running virtual machines, etc, you won't need more than 8GB for a while. Use the RAM money for a GTX 670.
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 7:25:44 PM

tivatar said:
No need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM... unless you're doing some heavy video editing, running virtual machines, etc, you won't need more than 8GB for a while. Use the RAM money for a GTX 670.

+1
August 25, 2012 9:37:17 PM

thanks so much guys for fast replies :)  and i will take all of that into cosideration, the 670 looks good though as you're saying the new cards should be out soon from AMD, and the 16gb of ram is for Photoshop in college so there is method in the madness ;)  but honestly this is the first post on here and generally the advice given is really good! :D  one thing i will say is that the intel hd 4000 seems to be holding up on mafia II which i didn't expect haha
!