0x124 BSODs on stock 3570k fresh build

slipnfall

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hi folks - I could use some advice on where to go with a troublesome workstation I just built. This is a light CAD workstations for a friend of the family, and it's failing stability testing. NO INTENTIONS of overclocking or tweaking this machine, everything must be stock/stable. FYI customer insisted on 3570k despite also having an (entry leveL) quadro card being installed. :sarcastic:

GA-B75M-D3H mobo,
i5-3570k, stock HSF (see below for compounds)
Video (HD4000 for purposes of this testing)
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2x4Gb: DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V
Silverstone PS07B mATX, 2x120mm intakes
Builder CX430 PSU
Crucial M4 SSD
Fresh Win7 x64 Pro, all Gigabyte drivers, latest bios.

Initial build, Win7 install went great - used the stock HSF along with Intel's factory compound. I ran IntelBurn several times (10x each), and NO stability problems AT ALL. Idled in the 20's. However temps would climb into the high 70's, so I decided to remove/replace heatsink compound. I should have left well enough alone!

Initially replaced with rice/bb of ICDiamond. Load temps dropped to mid-70's, but with a higher idle temp, and higher difference between cores (2-5°+ difference) under load. Began BSODing under IntelBurn. Also would not sustain Prime95 mesh for more than 10minutes or so. However despite temps under load never going above 75°C, still BSOD!

Removed and inspected - compound looked fine. Decided to use ArticSilver5 instead, light smear coat (which I usually do for polished/smooth coolers). Core temps were *much* tighter now - idle around 25-30°C, load still under 75°C, but STILL BSOD UNDER LOAD.

Ran MemTest86+, two passes no problems. Ran HCI MemTest, 0x124 BSOD withing 15minutes (it was loading all cores 100%, but STILL maintaining under 60-65°C during testing).

Cleared CMOS, (did NOT load optimum settings) and ONLY changed IDE/AHCI mode. Able to run HCI mem test for an hour, no problems. Still no stability with IntelBurn or Prime95.

Look, I'm not looking to go for some crazy record on either stress test, but I think any STOCK system should have no problem maintaining 100% load for a few hours at least. The way I see it, even though this stress testing isn't a realistic representation of every day load, there ARE software bugs/problems/hangs that can throttle up a CPU and keep it there. I feel a system should be able to handle this, temperature wise without self destructing or BSODing.

Any suggestions? THANK YOU for your time!

slipnfall

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Bump - ran a full HCI MemTest, completed just fine - maintained 60degree temps.

Re-enabled XMP in BIOS (defaulted to disabled when I cleared CMOS).

IntelBurn completed successfully - peak core temp of 78°C.

Peak temp of 75°C in prime95 the proceeds to cause BSOD though??

0x124 indicates an unstable CPU/Motherboard.

Temps are getting WAY to high, which is probably the root cause of the problem. Temps over about 65C are too hot, and the 70s is above Intel specifications.

slipnfall

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Yep, it's the same BSOD every time, and I knew from past builds that it indicated temp/hardware issues.

However, while the temps are really high for STOCK (I've seen report of people in the 50's under prime/IBT), they don't seem abnormally high for the CPU are they? I thought OCers were running in the 70's and 80's all the time?

I've been reading up about XMP, and how sometimes that will shift CPU clock higher, so I plan on manually configuring tonight.

I purchased a better cooler, which is on its way, but that seems *completely unneccessary* for a stock system. Any other things I should be looking at for clues to the overheating?

Thanks,
Jamie

slipnfall

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Reset all memory to AUTO - XMP.
Forced memory to PC1333, but left all other timing/etc to AUTO.

Little/no stability still.

Removed each stick individually - temps under load dropped significantly. I can now run Prime95 for 20-30minutes, and not break 65 or so degrees.

Nearly every time I BSOD for 0x124, temps are only around 60-62° per core.

I'm to the point of swapping in a known good i3-3225 or 2x8Gb Crucial.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

I still think temps are too warm, but I believe 60-65C is barley acceptable. [Can anyone confirm what the spec limit is on Intel IB CPU's?]

If its not temp related, next bet would be insufficient/unstable voltage to the CPU/NB. PSU might just be doing a REALLY bad job of delivering power.

slipnfall

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

I'm going to try swapping out the power supply tonight. Under load ripple may be too much at input of regulators... it's a stretch, but I'd rather do that than be swapping CPU's back and forth between machines...

Thanks!

twelve25

Distinguished
I had 0x124 caused by a flaky stick of RAM that would pass memory tests most of the time. If you only have on or two bad addresses, or have issues with "fade" then it is only going to pop up during certain tasks or quite randomly. I RMAed the RAM, bought a different brand and have had a stable system since.

I'd try different RAM (or one stick at a time)

FWIW, ivy bridge is fine up into the 90s Celsuis, although I wouldn't want to run that hot if I can help it. I think thermal shutdown is something like 110. THey are made to run hot.