Sign in with
Your question

How to I tell if my Video Card went Kaput?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2012 7:27:12 PM

Hey all,

Built my first computer approximately 2 months ago and all was running fine up until yesterday. Went to fire it up and all I heard was that initial click then nothing happened. So I popped off the sides took out the extra peripherals (wireless and firewire cards), disconnected the hard drives and disc drives and started it up, but I get no signal from the video card to the monitor.

All the case fans and lights are on and its been running for 20 minutes without shutting off. Still a total noob when it comes to diagnosing problems with this thing.

Specs:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Extended ATX MoBo
Intel Core i7-390x Sandy Bridge Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 <---- the most likely culprit.
64gb G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series DDR3 1333

More about : video card kaput

August 25, 2012 7:30:41 PM

Do you get a signal when the screen is connected to the motherboard? Also, why do you need so much RAM?
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:35:47 PM

Unfortunately, the mother board doesn't have onboard video. I got so much RAM because I got the rig to do Video and Motion Graphics work and to play games maxed out, but mostly for video work lol. I'm taking the card to my friend's place to see if it works in his machine later this week so I guess that's one way to test the card.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 7:38:53 PM

The CPU should have onboard graphics. It is all on the CPU nowadays. 8GB is more than enough for games.
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:41:27 PM

Just a heads up the fan on the card is spinning but still no signal. Working with adobe after effects I've noticed that the more RAM the better, the workflow is unbearable on 4gb to 8gb machines.
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:48:20 PM

RAM drive FTW!

If your GTX 670 is of the SuperClocked variety, they have a high failure rate. EVGA will upgrade you to a FTW edition for free, assuming you didn't violate the warranty.

The beep sound means the POST is passing on start-up, so the video card is indeed most likely the culprit. Make sure it's seated and the power connectors are installed snug. If you have another video card to swap in, or another computer to try the suspected bad one in, that'll give an answer pretty quick.

m
l
August 25, 2012 7:50:21 PM

OK so I plugged a TV into the card via HDMI cable. Nothing happened at first, but then it shut off and came back on and it seems to be working again.
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:51:06 PM

tivatar said:
RAM drive FTW!

If your GTX 670 is of the SuperClocked variety, they have a high failure rate. EVGA will upgrade you to a FTW edition for free, assuming you didn't violate the warranty.

The beep sound means the POST is passing on start-up, so the video card is indeed most likely the culprit. Make sure it's seated and the power connectors are installed snug. If you have another video card to swap in, or another computer to try the suspected bad one in, that'll give an answer pretty quick.

My card is the FTW version sorry for not mentioning that part
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:53:35 PM

Possibly a bad cable to the monitor then?
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:30:18 PM

Weird, after taking everything apart and putting it back exactly as I had it (aside from using the hdmi cable instead of the VGA) it's back on and running fine. What the hell lol, not that I'm complaining.
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:31:25 PM

Also thanks for all the help!
m
l
!