Sign in with
Your question

GTX660TI Underperforming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2012 7:37:26 PM

So i got my Zotac GTX660Ti to replace my GTS450 the other day and everything was running smoothly then i loaded up Guild wars 2 this morning and on max setting was only getting 35 FPS Max(dips down to 15 in wvw) , so i ran 3d mark 11 and heres what i got :

Score:
P5515 3DMarks

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

The Graphics score is 1000 lower than several reviews i have seen, my sytem specs are

AMD ATHLON X4 640 @ 3.0
8GB RIPJAWS-X
ASROCK N68 S3
GTX660Ti

i think it could be down to the unbranded 500w psu that came with the computer when i first bought it, i will have too see when i get my OCZ 500w later this week and move everything into my new case also Heaven 3.0 seems to get around 40FPS avg if thats more info.

if anyone has any suggestion or can back up my PSU Theory i would be glad to hear it , Thanks
August 25, 2012 8:33:16 PM

Anyone?
August 25, 2012 8:37:15 PM

What driver are you using?
Related resources
August 25, 2012 8:37:20 PM

wackeyz said:
So i got my Zotac GTX660Ti to replace my GTS450 the other day and everything was running smoothly then i loaded up Guild wars 2 this morning and on max setting was only getting 35 FPS Max(dips down to 15 in wvw) , so i ran 3d mark 11 and heres what i got :

Score:
P5515 3DMarks

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

The Graphics score is 1000 lower than several reviews i have seen, my sytem specs are

AMD ATHLON X4 640 @ 3.0
8GB RIPJAWS-X
ASROCK N68 S3
GTX660Ti

i think it could be down to the unbranded 500w psu that came with the computer when i first bought it, i will have too see when i get my OCZ 500w later this week and move everything into my new case also Heaven 3.0 seems to get around 40FPS avg if thats more info.

if anyone has any suggestion or can back up my PSU Theory i would be glad to hear it , Thanks

I don't think it is your PSU. Try running GPU-Z in the background and enable logging of data (GPU speed) while running your benchmark. Also, your CPU is rather slow by today's standards, it is possible that in games that are even slightly CPU sensitive, your performance will drop.

EDIT: Oh, and if you just swapped the new card in and let the drivers install by themselves, it might be a really good idea to update the drivers with the newest one.
August 25, 2012 8:37:43 PM

That CPU looks like its bottlenecking. Can you OC it further?
August 25, 2012 8:43:02 PM

There are a lot of utilities for calculating PSU usage. Try this:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

It will let you know if you are close. If so switching to the OCZ might not be enough. The difference between an off brand on brand name may not be as much as you expect. I believe Tom's did an extensive review of PSUs and listed the actual manufacturer of them about a year ago.
August 25, 2012 9:11:39 PM

i installed the 3.058 drivers from the Nvidia site, also i will try the gpu-z idea later on, and is there anyway of testing if it is the CPU?
a c 87 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2012 9:30:05 PM

wackeyz said:
i installed the 3.058 drivers from the Nvidia site, also i will try the gpu-z idea later on, and is there anyway of testing if it is the CPU?

Overclock it and see if your FPS go up.
a c 87 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2012 9:37:37 PM

tevarian said:
There are a lot of utilities for calculating PSU usage. Try this:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

It will let you know if you are close. If so switching to the OCZ might not be enough. The difference between an off brand on brand name may not be as much as you expect. I believe Tom's did an extensive review of PSUs and listed the actual manufacturer of them about a year ago.

The difference between "off" brand and brand name power supplies is generally huge. There are some companies that are actual manufacturers that average buyers have never heard of. That does not make them "off" brands.

Power supply calculators generally dramatically overestimate what you actually need. A system with a single GTX 660 Ti only needs a 450w power suppy.
August 25, 2012 10:11:36 PM

anort3 said:
The difference between "off" brand and brand name power supplies is generally huge. There are some companies that are actual manufacturers that average buyers have never heard of. That does not make them "off" brands.

Power supply calculators generally dramatically overestimate what you actually need. A system with a single GTX 660 Ti only needs a 450w power suppy.

In 3yrs where will that 450 be taking into account capacitor aging? You should always add a bit extra to take this into account if you want to reuse your PSU over and over for a few years.
August 25, 2012 10:18:18 PM

Smeg45 said:
In 3yrs where will that 450 be taking into account capacitor aging? You should always add a bit extra to take this into account if you want to reuse your PSU over and over for a few years.

How do you correct for capacitor aging ? I have repaired PSUs for a long while and never came across a formula to predict capacitor aging...

At a cursory glance, using a higher wattage power supply ensures that you use a less load on that power supply, which means typically lower duty cycles on the secondaries. I'm not sure how this can lengthen the lifespan of a capacitor (electrolytic) which has maximal lifespan when used (below the voltage rated) with minimal ripple (either full duty cycle - DC, or no duty cycle).
August 25, 2012 10:28:46 PM

After reading up i think it could be the CPU Bottle Necking but i will report back after i install my new PSU , Thanks to everyone who has posted so far
August 25, 2012 10:51:33 PM

Yeah dude, CPU bottleneck. Your GPU score will go up with a stronger/overclocked CPU.
a c 87 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2012 10:56:21 PM

Maxx_Power said:
How do you correct for capacitor aging ? I have repaired PSUs for a long while and never came across a formula to predict capacitor aging...

At a cursory glance, using a higher wattage power supply ensures that you use a less load on that power supply, which means typically lower duty cycles on the secondaries. I'm not sure how this can lengthen the lifespan of a capacitor (electrolytic) which has maximal lifespan when used (below the voltage rated) with minimal ripple (either full duty cycle - DC, or no duty cycle).

With modern solid caps aging is a nonissue. Those online PSU calcualtors add something like 10% a year when in reality it's more like 1% a year.
August 25, 2012 10:57:55 PM

Say i did uprgrade my cpu would this be something that would ample? AMD FX-6 6100 Black Edition 6 Core 3.3Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
a c 87 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2012 11:13:46 PM

You don't want a Bulldozer for gaming but your motherboard will not support it anyway. You are limited to 95w CPUs.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-S3/?cat=CPU

That sucks because you can't really even overclock with that board. Staying with AMD a Phenom II X4 965 or 975 are your best choices.
!