SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 7970 GHz Edition vs GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD 7970 GHz

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
So I decided to buy a 7970 GHz edition instead of lighting edition and now I need to know which GHz edition card is better on cooling, speed and noise. Any benchmarks or experiences? :hello:

Both are great really, the vapor-x maybe more stylish than the gigabyte one. the gigabyte is a factory overclocked card not the Ghz Edition, so the vapor-x has more overclocking potentiality.

when it comes to sapphire, vapor-x and toxic models always tend to get the best PCB as its their signature cooling system. though I know for a fact that the toxic 6gb 7970 ghz is moderately loud, so I would assume the vapor-x 7970 ghz is moderately loud as well.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks, so I guess I will buy the sappfire edition. Have a great day!

I know what you meant, the Gigabyte card is based on the same reference BIOS of the normal HD 7970 but factory overclocked to 1 GHz, the Sapphire one is based on the BIOS of the new HD 7970 which is called GHz Edition which has improved Texture Fillrate & Memory Bandwidth.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks, I was about to buy the gig card before doing this thread. Close call...

mukitbinazad

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
if you are watercooling than i definitely vote for the gigabyte because it has a reference pcb and 7970 waterblocks will work on it...
if you want the best performance ever than i vote for sapphire...if you are not watercooling than sapphire is the best choice

alaraf

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

I'm afraid you are in wrong. Gigabyte has released two cards: GV-R797OC-3GD and GV-R797TO-3GD. The first one is indeed factory overclocked legacy HD 7970 (Tahiti), but the second is true HD7970 GHz Edition (Tahiti 2). Visually the both cards are almost identical while GPU core is different.
Many people gets confused about which one is true GHz Edition.

Best regards,
Al Araf

Visually the both cards are almost identical while GPU core is different.
Absolutely not, the HD 7970 which is called GHz Edition has improved Texture Fillrate & Memory Bandwidth. Check Toms review of the GHz and read the differences between it and the std one.

ea1980

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

I bought the 7970 ge and i can tell you its one of my best cards and i allway bought nvidia cards till this one i have tree fans on it(by factory) and the noise start only when it reaches high temps so dont worry about it and the noise is not that bad (i recently hade virus that my my gpu get to 80c so i know) hope i helped