Advice on this build, and a RAM question

Kalden1701

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Good afternoon all! I hope this Saturday finds you safe.

I was hoping to get some advice on the system I've built on further overclocking, stability, and possibly upgrading. I would say I have a decent level of knowledge when it comes to building, but I get a bit weak on the fine-tuning and knowing what all the signs mean.

CPU: i7 3930k 3.3Ghz (overclocked to 4.6Ghz) - I have 1.3461v on VID according to Core Temp and avg 45 degrees under load per core
MOBO: ASUS Formula IV
GPU: 2x EVGA 680 FTW 4GB w/ backplate - waiting for the waterblock comes out for this from frozencpu and then I will liquid cool. According to MSI Afterburner, I've got 50+ core voltage, 120% power limit, +60 core clock, and 0+ on memory clock for both cards.
RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Patriot Sector 7
Tower: Cooler Master HAF-X
1x 256 Crucial SSD Kingston HyperX
1x 2TB Caviar Black HDD Western Digital 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair 1200W 80+ Gold Edition Modular supply

I get good frame rates for every game I play, but I built a system for my room mate for a lot less money and he seems to get just about as good, if not better, frame rates on the same games and he's using a weaker EVGA series card, and an i5 series processor; so I am curious to see if there was anything I could do to tweak here and there for additional performance?

I was considering upgrading the RAM to 2400Mhz, but would be there a noticeable difference in performance?

No noticeable difference in RAM performance for anything above DDR3-1600.

If your roommate has a lower res monitor then he'd be getting higher frame rates at the same settings. Your build should give you 60+ FPS on any settings at 1080p, and do very well at 1440p. Two 7970 GHz Editions would trump it there though, especially with large amounts of AA.

TRENDING THREADS