Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5N-E SLI and evga GTS 450 issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 10:00:30 PM

Hi,

I did get a evga gts 450, to run with my p5n-e sli motherboard. I had to change my previous graphic card because it crashed badly and never got to work again. I bought a gts 450 thinking it would run ok, now even after whipping out all nvdia drivers I have always only been able to get basic standard display max 1600*1200 (no 3d, not able to get ). I get an error 43 (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)) with my Windows 7/64 bits. I changed the PSU and got a 500W enough Amps... that is supposed to handle it (the previous Power Unit would truly be not powerfull enough). But it didn't changed anything :cry:  , even after recleaning and installing latest drivers.
Still same error 43, so anyone could tell me for sure if the motherboard with 2x PCI express x16 slots are enough to support the gts 450?
Reason I'm asking is because EVGA support team said that it's more than likely a faulty Graphic card
Thanks buddies.

Gweno
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 10:11:28 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I did get a evga gts 450, to run with my p5n-e sli motherboard. I had to change my previous graphic card because it crashed badly and never got to work again. I bought a gts 450 thinking it would run ok, now even after whipping out all nvdia drivers I have always only been able to get basic standard display max 1600*1200 (no 3d, not able to get ). I get an error 43 (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)) with my Windows 7/64 bits. I changed the PSU and got a 500W enough Amps... that is supposed to handle it (the previous Power Unit would truly be not powerfull enough). But it didn't changed anything :cry:  , even after recleaning and installing latest drivers.
Still same error 43, so anyone could tell me for sure if the motherboard with 2x PCI express x16 slots are enough to support the gts 450?
Reason I'm asking is because EVGA support team said that it's more than likely a faulty Graphic card
Thanks buddies.

Gweno

Off the top of my head, a lot of P5 generation of boards that have 2xPCI-E 16 slots requires you to install the video card (usually) in the top slot if you only use one. This gave me a lot of unnecessary headaches with crashes before I figured it out.

If that's not your problem, it COULD be your motherboard. Was your old video card working ?

While you are at it, you may want to uninstall all previous drivers (AMD if you used AMD, Nvidia if you used Nvidia) and reinstall the newest release.
a c 86 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 10:13:28 PM

What's your PSU model and your motherboard is probably not the problem, although it might be. Try booting into safe mode, use a program called Driver Fusion (newer version of Driver Sweeper) to uninstall all AMD and all Nvidia graphics drivers, reboot, and then install the latest Nvidia graphics drivers for the GTS 450. Doing a regular uninstall often isn't enough with graphics drivers, so this is a good thing to try.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 10:19:09 PM

blazorthon said:
What's your PSU model and your motherboard is probably not the problem, although it might be. Try booting into safe mode, use a program called Driver Fusion (newer version of Driver Sweeper) to uninstall all AMD and all Nvidia graphics drivers, reboot, and then install the latest Nvidia graphics drivers for the GTS 450. Doing a regular uninstall often isn't enough with graphics drivers, so this is a good thing to try.

Good idea with the Driver Fusion.
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 1:04:22 AM

Code 43 is the card, it is not a good sign and could mean that the card is defective. I no longer have any 1.1 era boards but Fermi cards unlike ATI/AMD should have no problem with older boards and your board isn't that crappy to not work with a gts450.
a c 86 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 1:09:40 AM

Only PCIe 2.1 cards have problems with the PCIe 1.x slots. The PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 Ati/AMD cards have no trouble with the older boards and even then, a BIOS update often fixed PCIe 2.1 compatibility.

I have to agree in that the card itself is probably the problem if Driver Fusion doesn't help.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2012 11:29:19 AM

Thank you all for your support and suggestions,

PSU is a Enermax Liberty ● 500W which is enough for the job (exceed requirements on the 12mA rail).

To answer maxx_power question, indeed the previous video worked ok but then did crash badly a little after upgrading to Windows 7/64 from XP, using a LG Flatron 24'' screen.

So now I ran Fusion driver in safe mode to delete all remaining drivers (again...) and installed latest from NVIdia. No progress still code 43.(note: did try it on the same computer but with XP, and get the same error).
So I guess it is either the motherboard that has been damaged with previous Graphic card crash or it is a faulty GTS-450.

I have planned to try the gts 450 on a friend's pc to be able to decide between the two options.

Many thanks again

Gweno

a c 86 U Graphics card
August 27, 2012 1:09:23 PM

Glad to help. Do you still have a warranty on that GTS 450? EVGA is known for their excellent warranty service and would probably help you out if the card is faulty and you still have a warranty on it.
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2012 2:09:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your support and suggestions,

PSU is a Enermax Liberty ● 500W which is enough for the job (exceed requirements on the 12mA rail).

To answer maxx_power question, indeed the previous video worked ok but then did crash badly a little after upgrading to Windows 7/64 from XP, using a LG Flatron 24'' screen.

Gweno

So the old video card was crashing too after an upgrade ? Can you double check all drivers were installed properly for your motherboard after Win64 update ? AND, find the latest BIOS for your board, and flash that in.
a c 86 U Graphics card
August 27, 2012 3:42:58 PM

The rail is 12V(Volts). mA(milliamp) is not the same as V. How many A(Amps) can be run through the 12V rail(s) is what matters for the CPU, graphics card, and most other components too.
!