Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Probably Buying a Radeon 7870. Questions.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 25, 2012 11:05:02 PM

I'm buying a Radeon 7870, and I want to know the Ideal wattage of my psu I'm going to need.

And, I believe my motherboard is good enough, but do I need an upgrade?

Thank you.


EDIT: Are there any other graphics cards that are better or more worth buying than the Radeon 7870?
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2012 11:17:11 PM

Hi.

For a system using a single AMD Reference Design Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

from ; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/333662-10-3570k-787...


It would be nice to know what mobo you have before we can say anything about it . . .
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2012 11:18:21 PM

What is your motherboard?

HD 7870 is an excellent card; it is your best choice in its price range, definitively go for it!

AMD Radeon HD 7870 And 7850 Review http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You will nedd at least 500W power supply, with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector.

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Share
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2012 11:33:26 PM

jemm said:
What is your motherboard?

HD 7870 is an excellent card; it is your best choice in its price range, definitively go for it!

AMD Radeon HD 7870 And 7850 Review http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You will nedd at least 500W power supply, with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector.

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



you mean 2. only the 7850 uses one in the pitcairn series
Score
0
August 25, 2012 11:55:28 PM

I've looked everywhere to find my MOBO, but can't find. I tried opening up my pc, but I have no idea how to locate the name or id of it :3
Score
0
August 26, 2012 12:03:29 AM

Found my Mobo modal, it is a H77 Chipset.
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2012 12:08:01 AM

Is your computer an OEM computer or a home/custom-built computer?

EDIT: H77 simply tells the chipset, not the motherboard model.
Score
0
August 26, 2012 12:10:04 AM

blazorthon said:
Is your computer an OEM computer or a home/custom-built computer?

EDIT: H77 simply tells the chipset, not the motherboard model.



It's an OEM.

EDIT: My computer model is Asus CM6870
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2012 12:11:12 AM

What is the model of your computer? A web search for its specifications should give the motherboard model and/or specifications.
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2012 12:15:53 AM

if its h77, it most likely has a pci-e 3.0 slot and is comparable with all gpus. the only thing stopping it is really PSU and Case(gpu length room requirement)
Score
0
August 26, 2012 12:19:55 AM

The computer modal is Asus CM6870. Won't any video card fit aslong as it's pcie?
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2012 12:24:12 AM

justio123 said:
The computer modal is Asus CM6870. Won't any video card fit aslong as it's pcie?



yes pci-e cards are universally fit. but its not motherboard to video card compatability one should look at. its case to video card, as pci-e isnt going away for a long time.

a very crude analogy is like an engine is compatable with all the right mechanical parts, which are universal to some extent. the problem isnt the engine to like wheel compatability, its the engine to frame compatability, and the frame is the computer case.
Score
0
August 26, 2012 1:26:28 AM

Thanks guys :D 
Score
0
September 2, 2012 4:14:30 AM

Best answer selected by justio123.
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2012 9:26:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!