Solved

PSU requirements and saving money

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 4, 2013 9:22:46 AM

Hi there, I'm wanting to save money on my power bill, so I'm looking at more efficient PSUs. We have 4 computers that are used quite a bit.

Would this PSU be enough to power my system?
http://store.antec.com/Product/power_supply-earthwatts/...

Pertinent specs of the PSU:
- 550W continuous power
- Up to 93% efficiency
- 30A on each of the 4x12V rails

My computer specs are in my sig - the other 3 PCs are all less powerful (eg dual core, GT 440 etc) so I'm pretty certain they'd be fine.

Currently I'm using a Thermaltake modular PSU which I think is 80+ at 750W, but I could be wrong, I got it a while ago. The other PCs have standard case+PSU setups, so I'm assuming they're not that efficient compared to the new Antecs.

Do you think it's worth spending about $440AU (approx same in USD) for 4 PSUs to save some money over a few years? Or would they cost more money than they would save?

Thanks for any advice.

More about : psu requirements saving money

a c 311 ) Power supply
March 4, 2013 12:31:07 PM

Khalan said:
Hi there, I'm wanting to save money on my power bill, so I'm looking at more efficient PSUs. We have 4 computers that are used quite a bit.

Would this PSU be enough to power my system?
http://store.antec.com/Product/power_supply-earthwatts/...

Pertinent specs of the PSU:
- 550W continuous power
- Up to 93% efficiency
- 30A on each of the 4x12V rails

My computer specs are in my sig - the other 3 PCs are all less powerful (eg dual core, GT 440 etc) so I'm pretty certain they'd be fine.

Currently I'm using a Thermaltake modular PSU which I think is 80+ at 750W, but I could be wrong, I got it a while ago. The other PCs have standard case+PSU setups, so I'm assuming they're not that efficient compared to the new Antecs.

Do you think it's worth spending about $440AU (approx same in USD) for 4 PSUs to save some money over a few years? Or would they cost more money than they would save?

Thanks for any advice.

Don't know what your electr rates are, but you are already aware
that it'll take years to offset the cost, but if I were in your
situation I'd do it. TT PSU's are not that great and you have three
generic's, so repl them all.

m
l
March 4, 2013 12:47:59 PM

^^ what he said, do you leave these machines on all the time? Personally, I found that having an SSD saved me on my electrical bill simply because I turn the PC off even if I am only away for 10-15 minutes, boot up is fast enough that it's no trouble.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1218 ) Power supply
March 4, 2013 4:56:35 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Antec EarthWatts EA-550 Platinum (SKU: 0-761345-27520-0), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 34 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card.

Since Australia has some of the highest prices for electricity in the world (i.e. approaching prices charged in Denmark and Germany) it could very well be worth your while to upgrade to a more efficient power supply unit.

You can also combine it with more aggressive power management settings in the operating system.
March 4, 2013 11:28:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I get charged at 23 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) (I think that's about 3 times the US rate?), so if my math is right it would take about 1900 kWh to offset the $440. However I don't know how to figure out the kWh savings per PSU as I don't know their efficiency etc.

My PC is often on for 24 hours a day, the second on most of the day and evening, the other two usually about 6 hours a day. We're working on cutting those times back.

Currently we are using about 23kWh per day ($5-6 per day) which has started dropping as we've stopped using the aircon altogether, turning the PCs off more often etc. I believe the biggest power users now besides the fridge are the 4 PCs - we don't use dryers, heaters or dishwashers.

If I can save say 3kWh per day between the 4 new PSUs they would pay for themselves in about 2 years, which would be fine with me. Do you think this is possible?

I may look for some sort of power monitor so I can see exactly how much each appliance is using (especially the fridge, it was given to us and I don't know how old or efficient it is, it may be worth buying a new one to replace it...)
m
l
a c 1218 ) Power supply
March 5, 2013 1:53:41 AM

I usually use my UPS application to monitor my energy usage/cost:
m
l
a c 311 ) Power supply
March 5, 2013 11:06:16 AM

Khalan said:
Thanks for the replies.

I get charged at 23 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) (I think that's about 3 times the US rate?), so if my math is right it would take about 1900 kWh to offset the $440. However I don't know how to figure out the kWh savings per PSU as I don't know their efficiency etc.

My PC is often on for 24 hours a day, the second on most of the day and evening, the other two usually about 6 hours a day. We're working on cutting those times back.

Currently we are using about 23kWh per day ($5-6 per day) which has started dropping as we've stopped using the aircon altogether, turning the PCs off more often etc. I believe the biggest power users now besides the fridge are the 4 PCs - we don't use dryers, heaters or dishwashers.

If I can save say 3kWh per day between the 4 new PSUs they would pay for themselves in about 2 years, which would be fine with me. Do you think this is possible?

I may look for some sort of power monitor so I can see exactly how much each appliance is using (especially the fridge, it was given to us and I don't know how old or efficient it is, it may be worth buying a new one to replace it...)

Hi - Looks like a no-brainer, I'd repl all 4 psu's now.
m
l
!