Questions/Advice/Suggestions for a $2.500 build.

takezow

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hello guys,

Long time reader, first time poster, it's also the first time I'm building a rig myself.

The computer will be used to play games only. I tend to uninstall games as i finish them. I'll be playing Fifa 13, WoW, Diablo 3, some heavy modded Skyrim and other open world rpgs and online stuff.

I intend to build this rig as an investment for the future.

I already have a 1920x1080 dell monitor, keyboard and mouse and speakers, so I won't need any of those.

I also have Windows 7 Home Edition, a HAF 922 case (not mine yet, getting it from a friend), a Corsair H100 cooler and a Corsair Tx850 V2 850w PSU, which I'll also be using.

My budget is somewhere around $2.500, and I ll probably get it all from newegg unless I can’t find it there.

I would like to get:

Intel Core i7-3930K, running at 4.5GHz or so;
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011;
2x Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240gb which will run in raid 0, or no raid if I need space, they are only $165 on newegg;
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB), I ll only use 16 gb, no need of 32gb as I will use Win 7 Home;
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional; and
2x EVGA 04G-P4-3688-KR GeForce GTX 680 Classified 4GB, these go for $559 on newegg, I will run them on SLI.

My questions are:

1. Is this all compatible? I hear some ssds have some compatibility issues.

2. Will it fit? I know the HAF 922 is not that big and read that the GTX 680s are also kind of big, will the 2 of them fit inside? there's also the soundcard in there. What about the H100 will it fit the HAF 922 case? Some people have problems with that.

3. Will it be cool enough? I only intend to overclock the CPU, no need to overclock the GPUs, but I know they run hot in SLI.
3.1. Will the corsair H100 keep the i7 i7-3930K cool enough if it runs at 4.5 GHZ?
3.2. Do I need extra cooling for the GPUs? I hear evga push the hot air outside the case and I won't overclock them at the beginning at least, so will they run cool enough or should I try something else?

4. A 850w PSU is enough for setup? the GPUs use 550w.

Open for suggestions, critics!

Solution
Theres very little point in using LGA2011 for gaming. A 3570K performs just as well in most cases, but is a lot cheaper.

Sabertooths are bling; a cheaper board will do just as well.

Using RAID on SSDs can cause problems like TRIM not working. Just get a single drive.

Get low profile RAM to avoid large CPU coolers. Yes, you have an H100, but it's still a good idea because it costs the same and could save you hassle later.

Onboard sound is fine. If you are enough of an audiophile to tell the difference you would probably get something better anyway.

2x GTX680 is way overkill for a single 1080p screen. I suggest you get another pair of 1080p screens for Eyefinity/Surround. Then get 2x 7970 GHz Editions, because they are cheaper...
Theres very little point in using LGA2011 for gaming. A 3570K performs just as well in most cases, but is a lot cheaper.

Sabertooths are bling; a cheaper board will do just as well.

Using RAID on SSDs can cause problems like TRIM not working. Just get a single drive.

Get low profile RAM to avoid large CPU coolers. Yes, you have an H100, but it's still a good idea because it costs the same and could save you hassle later.

Onboard sound is fine. If you are enough of an audiophile to tell the difference you would probably get something better anyway.

2x GTX680 is way overkill for a single 1080p screen. I suggest you get another pair of 1080p screens for Eyefinity/Surround. Then get 2x 7970 GHz Editions, because they are cheaper and outperform the 680s at higher resolutions.

EVGA cards use reference coolers which aren't particularly effective and are kind of loud, but they do at least toss the heat out the back of the case. I suggest you get these though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439

An 850W would be pushing it with two 7970GHz or 680s and an OCed 3930k, but fine for a 3570K.

Solution

takezow

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
thanks man! I'll consider that

I know it's kinda overkill, I ll probally do some video editing and get 2 more monitores in the future, that's why

Will it fit the case anyway? 2 sli gpus +soundcard inside a haf 922?

what about the power supply, how much should I get if I keep the original setup?

You really don't need a soundcard. Especially if your speaker system takes SPDIF in, which means the DACs are in the amplifier not the card.

Extra CPU power doesn't help with multi-monitors, but it's good for rendering. A 3570K is pretty powerful though.

If you do go the multi-monitor (or 1440p) route GCN has much more memory bandwidth than Kepler, so does far better. Especially with AA turned up.

I'm not saying that 850W won't work with 2x680 and a 3930K, but it'd be tight. I would just get an IB chip and put the difference into monitors.

TRENDING THREADS